Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbc40
    • Nov 27 2013

1960 Wixom tag

can anyone tell me what this means ? it is a oval brass tag that says Wixcom 2456. it is on the body next to door hindge. tried to load picture but can't
    Mike
    1960 Thunderbird Hardtop
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That plate has been debated many times on here. No one has given a valid explanation of why it's there or who put them there. I've personally seen three myself and I'm sure Carl Heller has seen a few. There are too many of them showing up for it to be a random act by one of the assembly line workers.

Only paid members can post pictures directly. If you don't want to become a paid member you will have to link to a third party hosting site to post pictures.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Wixom tag

Here is additional information on posting of pix on this Forum.

As a Paid Member if you have anything you want to share with us you can post attachments directly on our server. To become one, have a PayPal account and click on the Donate to Site button at the top right of this Forum. To post attachments as an unpaid user you can create an account on one of the free picture hosting websites, upload your pictures of your Tbird there and post the link to them in Our Rides Forum. Or you can send them to me, Ray Clark ~ YellowRose, John Pizzi ~ jopizz, or Dave Dare, our webmaster ~ simplyconnected and we will post them for you. When you post pictures please set them for 800x600 size for better viewing on the Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• pbf777
        Experienced
        • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
        That plate has been debated many times on here. No one has given a valid explanation of why it's there or who put them there. I've personally seen three myself and I'm sure Carl Heller has seen a few. There are too many of them showing up for it to be a random act by one of the assembly line workers. John
        There is another tag present, #2058, on a 1960 "J"code hard top currently listed on ebay.

Perhaps to track bodies after being received from Budd, but prior to entering assembly line for production? Scott.
        Last edited by pbf777; December 24, 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Scott, this has been kicked around many times. No, the tag is not new.

Originally posted by YellowRose
          As a result of an email I just received from John Peters ~ driller, regarding a '60's blue Lincoln with a brass tag on it, I think we can put to rest what this brass tag was used for. Here is the LOD link. You will have to be logged into the LOD site to see this. If you are not a member, below is what that tag looks like on that blue Lincoln... Just like the one on the '60 Squarebird below...

Here's another:

Carefully examine the tag. It is an 'EQUIPMENT TAG', used to inventory capital expenditures (like desks, motors, machines, etc.).
          • The slotted screws are NOT from our assembly lines.
          • The holes are distorted (bent), probably from prying it off some other piece of equipment. This brass tag is thick and that pillar gauge isn't heavy enough to bend it.
          • It was clearly mounted after the body was painted so it could not have originated at Budd.
          • Our Maintenance Dept., attaches these using 1/8" twist-rivets so they cannot be removed.
          • Motors that go out for repair are ALWAYS identified by their brass tag. We send out pallets of bad motors at a time. Again, this for keeping track of inventory.

Whoever the 'plant guy' was, didn't know beans about production cars because we always go by rotation numbers and VIN numbers, even for inter-company vehicles.
          Each brass tag has a unique number (no two are the same) so that number couldn't possibly identify a test number or an employee number. In short, brass tags have NO business on production products, ever.

I love it when someone takes a stab at guessing and others believe it as gospel. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pbf777
            Experienced
            • Jan 9 2016

I understand that this subject is not new! I also realize that the absolute conclusion to this subject may never be established. But, I'm still curious of this, and also being of doubtful nature, I'm not so sure that I accept the "rogue jokester", as the reasonable explanation either? There seem to be too many of these "brass tags", of singular dimensions, reasonable range of stamped number & font, affixed in similar position & fashion (obviously post vehicle restoration/repaint & the current fasteners encountered may prove non-original, thereby clouding the issue further).

Yes, I and many others, have witnessed, and are familiar, with the use of such "brass tags", of many shapes, sizes and nomenclature, being used for the inventory control of corporate and government properties. But, that in itself does not explain, nor rule out, the presents of such in this instance of discussion.

And yes, I concede, it is possible that a singular individual, snags a handful of brass tags (frequency of encounter & number spread would indicate quite a few; and that's a lot of prying!), a pocket full of screws (pockets are getting heavy!), has a drill or punch to make the holes, tool(s) for fastening, the additional time required available, nobody notices or cares, either as one's at work, or, is observant further down the line, and says "WHAT-IN-HE##". Yes, it IS possible! But, then there's, why?

I knew a few inline workers years ago; seems in the body assembly department, a "jokester" favorite would be to hang a stray nut or bolt from a string inside an enclosed panel section to create a rattle noise, or just toss in a soda can in the bottom of a door.

And, please note that I make no statements of absolute fact, but rather thoughts. And sometimes, there's nothing wrong with someone "taking a stab at it" (sometimes defined as "Hypothesis") in order to provoke thought, and to spark reasonable discussion, in discovery of the facts, of an apparently unknown subject. Don't you think?

By the way, with this Thunderbird production, where bodies were received from the outside vendor, at what point were the V.I.N. numbers stamped?

Scott.
            Last edited by pbf777; December 26, 2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎