• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbird59
    Experienced
    • Dec 27 2011

New interior!

Hey guys.

Posting up the progress on my interior. I had some guys help me out with the things I couldn't do myself. I've also had a few people ask me where I got my interior done and what it looks like. I had a little trouble getting things to fit nicely due to the vinyl wrapping but it came together with a little drawing and patience. I hope this answers some questions

I did the center console, pieces above the rear seats, dash and front kicks myself. Everything still needs a little more work (cutting, gluing and fitting) but ill be posting up photos as i go. I'll post some more photos tomorrow

Also, I decided to go with a different approach With the interior trim pieces..I went with a "landau black" SEM flex coat to give it some style and also soften up the look on the inside.

Also, I'm sorry to the mods...I couldn't seem to adjust the size of the pics right now. Looking to fix that within 24 hours.

1960 Thunderbird
    429 TJ
    C6 Tranny
    Under Construction

Hey David,
    THAT LOOKS AWESOME! We gotta see pictures when its all in place.
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• keith
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2010

David, Those are great looking! Beautiful job.
      Keith
      Sedalia, Mo.
      sigpic
      CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

Great looking interior. I like your willingness to do your own thing and the results are great.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New Interior!

David, that is beautiful work! That is really going to stand out well when you put it all together. Like the others, I am looking forward to see what the interior is going to look like when you are finished.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• newbird59
            Experienced
            • Dec 27 2011

Thanks guys! It's a lot of work but i'm having so much fun doing it I'll be posting up a lot of photos.

I will be working on getting sound deadener and carpet installed soon after getting some surface rust off the floor.. have any of you had experience with this? I would really like to get some great fitting carpet to put down. would a carpet kit specifically for 58-60 tbirds work better than cutting one myself? what did all of you do?

Thanks for the support!

-David
            1960 Thunderbird
            429 TJ
            C6 Tranny
            Under Construction

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New interior!

David, what my interior guy did when he re-did my interior, was to remove all my carpeting very carefully. Then he used it as the pattern to cut the new carpeting material. Rather than try to find a bright yellow Tbird color, I picked the color from his big supply of different carpeting colors and went with the yellow you see in her today. If the Tbird parts houses have the color you want I would think it would be faster and better to get one of theirs and install it. That way you will have an exact cut of the material for a Squarebird. But, if you have some different color or piling of carpet in mind, you could do what he did. Remove your OEM carpeting and use it as the pattern to cut the new carpeting. As to what to use to get up the surface rust, I would say POR-15, but I hope our members with a lot more experience than I have in removing surface rust will step in and suggest something.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you wind up buying your carpets I highly recommend getting them from Rock Auto. They sell carpets made by Auto Custom Carpet which are about the best I've found but at about half the price than buying them direct from ACC. With the discount they have going now it's even cheaper. They're about $125 plus shipping.

If your surface rust is fairly heavy I also recommend POR-15. Not only will it solve your rust problem but it will also make the floors more stable.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• newbird59
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 27 2011

jopizz and Ray:

I looked up the POR-15. Is it important to get all of the surface rust off first or just paint it right over?? That sounds awesome to do! The price is a little steep, though...how much would I need for the car? I think it was actually treated with something like this before I bought it. It could just be black paint. here are some photos.

1960 Thunderbird
                  429 TJ
                  C6 Tranny
                  Under Construction

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You just need to get any loose rust pieces removed. It goes right over the surface rust and seals it and makes it paintable. You shouldn't need more than a quart. It doesn't store well so get as little as possible or it will dry up. I put mine in a sealed plastic container after I used it and it still dried up after a month or so.

John

Comment

• newbird59
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 27 2011

John,

Just used your advice and painted on POR-15 on the floors and so on...now I'm going to install the dynamat and new carpet I got today from Thunderbird Headquarters.

The POR-15 is fantastic. I bought a quart and have a lot more than enough to do 2+ coats! I'll be posting photos of the results after it dries

--david
                      1960 Thunderbird
                      429 TJ
                      C6 Tranny
                      Under Construction

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Just make sure you seal the container good or use it right away. It will dry up in a hurry.

John

Comment

• newbird59
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 27 2011

Oops! I ran over to do that just now. Thank you!

-david
                          1960 Thunderbird
                          429 TJ
                          C6 Tranny
                          Under Construction

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 14 2009

nice!

i am doing about the same thing with my 1960 Bird. i bought a carpet kit from Mac's in Lockport, ny. very nice and prices right. I will post pictures when I am done. I had a heart triple by-pass in December, so I have to go easy at it.Thanks,Henry

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New interior!

Take it easy, Henry and don't overdo it... I am also a member of the "Zipper Club" also, though mine was a 5 way bypass about 5 years ago. It can take a toll on ya. So please don't try to do to much at one time...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎