X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Power Brakes addition to A/C Car

I'm a new owner of a 1960 regular brakes factory A/C automatic T-Bird. I want to add power brakes, factory or aftermarket, whichever works best or easiest. I've read so many conflicting posts or posts without definitive answers. Does anyone know what will work and exactly what parts are needed for power brakes only?
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Take a look under the dash - maybe you have the factory Kelsey Hayes power brake booster there? Could be standard brakes though - lots of weird combos on these cars like power windows and manual transmission.

If you do happen to have the KH booster - those can be rebuilt (if you plan on keeping the original drum system).
    I recommend Booster Dewy. http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/ he rebuilt my Bendix unit and it's still gong strong 10+ years later.

I'm sure our administrator Dave Dare (simplyconnected) can help you with the info for a modern system. Don't know if there is a "list" because some choose different routes such as disc brakes rather than keeping the drum system.

If you had a non-A/C car like me and added A/C the original Bendix under the hood booster had to be moved out to clear the evaporator on the firewall. There was a factory kit for that but it's rare. I've only seen 1 in the past 15 years.

I converted mine to discs many years ago before the scarebird brackets were available.

It's very possible - just takes good planning and a bit of time.

Eric

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Thanks DK. There's nothing under the dash as it's a regular brake system. I put in a call to Booster Dewy and will follow up. I thought about the KH unit, but can't determine if the front of the unit vents into the engine compartment or just into the interior. In other words, do I cut into the firewall? I know those connected to a vacuum tank under the hood on the inner fender. It seems it would be more straight forward to find something for the late model 1960's cars similar to the Bendix unit.

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Yea - thought since you just acquired the car you may not have been aware of the KH under dash unit. You are correct they have a "reserve" tank on the drivers side inner fender behind the splash panel.

Pretty sure the KH units vent under the dash not really familiar with the operation since mine has the Bendix under the hood booster and I've worked on that unit only. Don't recall any extra holes etc for the KH boosters though.

Not sure what would be needed or changed to add the KH unit. Could be a different pedal assembly. We have a great new and used parts guy here Carl Heller (partsetal). He's in Penn. If you go that route and decide to add that system he should be able to supply what you need as far as pedal brackets etc if that is needed.

I'm sure Dave will have info on a new system that fits under the hood. There have been a few folks that have gone that route. It's a brand new dual action booster and bracket that bolts right up.

Check this thread for pics.
        http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14219

Eric

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Working under the dash to put a K/H unit in would be nerve wracking. It's pretty tight under there and you will have to fight some of the brackets. If you are starting clean, it would be much better to get/make the bracket and put the new booster in the engine compartment. You can get a booster that will also work with a disc brake setup if you want to upgrade later. Think it would be better to do it once and plan for the future.
          Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Thanks Eric and Nyles. I'd like to go with the booster on the firewall only because I've never seen the KH set-up in person or in photos. Who exactly do I contact for the dual action booster? Who is Dave?

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Nyles is right about working under the dash - lots of fun.

Don't have a pic handy of one installed but this is the booster - no cover on the bellows I guess to save space under the dash.

Dave is one of our administrators..... Dave Dare (simplyconnected) here on the forum.

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

The hardest part to find is the firewall bracket. All's not lost, you can get the whole setup as a package but the price is a bit steep. A few of our members did theirs using ABS Power Brake products.

I suggest you buy the master/booster combination. It is a two-stage 8" booster with a dual piston master cylinder (yes it clears A/C):

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html (page 94) Call them for pricing.

You can certainly use this with drum/drum or disk/drum brakes. Because the system is split front/rear, you need a combination proportioning valve for disk/drum or drum/drum (your choice). Don't let anyone talk you out of this important component. When there is a difference in adjustment between the front and rear systems, this valve compensates for it.

Since you will be re-piping your system, you will also need three hoses. Hoses for drum wheel cylinders are different than for disk calipers. If you don't do a disk brake conversion now but will later, you will re-pipe twice, re-buy different valves and re-buy hoses.

We use 11" Mustang rotors (with Squarebird stock bearings & seals) with Scarebird brackets and the booster mentioned above. Everything bolts on. Your wheels need to be made to clear disk brake calipers (like 14" Ranger wheels) or go with 15" wheels. The power disk brake system is not good, it is great. I guarantee you will never go back to drums ever again. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Nov 26 2015

Dave, I just want the entire kit for adding power brakes to what I have.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Dean, we've been through this, several ways. You can buy the whole package and take what comes. Several of us prefer using common parts that are available across the counter at all parts stores. Usually, our pads come in a variety of hardness so we have choices. It is equally important to us that our parts will not be unavailable sometime down the road. That's why we use production Mustang rotors and production S-10 calipers (or Granada parts).

In short, I am cheap but practical. I like doing a job once and right. If I ever need replacement parts I want to know that several million other cars also use them and they will be available 'today' at a reasonable/competitive cost. I do not consider 4-piston or Wilwood parts very available or cheap. I want to buy the parts and bolt them on without machining, when I'm a hundred miles from home. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Let me clarify my last posts.
                      You can purchase the booster/master W/firewall bracket and all the hardware that connects to your brake pedal.

New Master Cylinders come with dual pistons so you will divide your present system into front and rear systems THROUGH a combination proportioning valve.

You will re-pipe your brake lines to accomplish this.

Either keep going or stop right here. It's your car and your money. - Dave
                      Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      ...I suggest you buy the master/booster combination. It is a two-stage 8" booster with a dual piston master cylinder (yes it clears A/C):

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html (page 94) Call them for pricing.

You can certainly use this with drum/drum or disk/drum brakes. Because the system is split front/rear, you need a combination proportioning valve for disk/drum or drum/drum (your choice). Don't let anyone talk you out of this important component. When there is a difference in adjustment between the front and rear systems, this valve compensates for it.

Since you will be re-piping your system, you will also need three hoses. Hoses for drum wheel cylinders are different than for disk calipers...

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Nov 26 2015

I called ABS explaining the entire issue and they acted like it never happened before. They were supposed to email me a part number. Booster Dewy only has the KH unit. $$$$

Does anybody have a part number from ABS that I can specify for the correct firewall booster/Master with the correct bracket for sufficient clearance? Or a part number for a brake booster from the store they purchased their booster from that will fit an A/C regular brakes equipped 1960 Squarebird?

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

I converted my car to front disc's over 10 years ago (which I know is a little different from what you want to do). There was basically no information on converting these cars.

Here it is 10+ years later and it's not a whole lot better although this site probably has the most info. In the years I've been on the forum there have only been a handful of folks converting to discs - about the same amount wanting to "upgrade" from the single line master cyl to a dual line master cyl and keep the drum brakes. On the conversions - some used a Jeep bracket - some this or some that bracket. I made my own extension for the booster to replicate the factory modification. Wanting to add power brakes to a non power system as you want to do is a first for me - at least on the Squarebird.

There are lots of "kits" out there for Mustangs, Model A's, etc because they are very popular and widely modified. Unfortunately the Squarebird isn't as popular and modification kits are basically unheard of because of such little demand. No business wants to spend the time (and money) to do the research for something that won't pay off in sales so that leaves us with sites like this with gearheads like us that will try to help. I'd say that's also the main reason you won't get any help when calling the main suppliers - they might loose a sale trying to help you with something that may or may not pay off - plus they don't want to be liable for anything they tell you and it doesn't work or wrecks you car (or worse).

As mentioned - yours is the first upgrade I've heard of to upgrade a non power brake car to power. So even if we figure out the right bracket I'm not sure which pedal rod you would need. Maybe the adjustable one will work - just not sure.

You might check with Dave and see if there is more info available for paid members (got to keep this site going somehow) but believe the info is mostly for converting to discs. Hang with us - we'll try to get you there but unfortunately you won't find a complete "kit" (no matter what is advertised). I figured out back when I was doing my conversion - to ask if they have any references that I can ask about their "kit" or someone that I could talk to that has completed the conversion. Most of the time I never heard from them again.

Eric

Comment

• toddgilroy
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 30 2014

The ABS part number is 9787...I got mine from ABS for $295, including a proportioning valve.

Here is a post with a better picture than the one I have attached.
                            Attached Files
                            Todd Gilroy
                            1960 Tbird Convertible
                            Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Thank You, Todd.
                              Well, there you go... One minute ABS has them for a decent price and the next minute they know nothing about it. I also HATE that they don't post their prices. One salesman may quote one price while another comes in cheaper, while yet another one 'hasn't got those'...

This is the setup you need and everything is included except the combination proportioning valve for Drum/Drum brakes:

Originally posted by Daleo56
                              The MC, booster and bracket were all from ABS as one unit. $350 from Lucio is a good deal for all Squarebird members. It sure saves hunting around for the different pieces.

I removed the MC and taped around the bracket when I painted the booster.

Call Lucio back and hold his feet to the fire. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎