X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artvandalay
    • Oct 13 2017

1960 Carb

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. My father left me his 60 Thunderbird. I've always loved the look of the car and recently started going thru the car. The car always had a hesitation, I was working with my mechanic and we noticed the Carb was damaged and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on what Carb ? The motor is original and I'm not rebuilding / working on the car to be a trophy winner but a nice driver to enjoy as my father did for years. Any suggestions on carbs you guys may have tried or using? Any info is appreciated.
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Welcome to Squarebirds.
    I do run an Edelbrock 1405 (manual choke) on my 352 Bird.
    It runs very well, my only negative point is that for some strange reason the fuel bowls get dry within a day sitting, after the engine was completely warmed up. I thought this was due to the high ethanol percentage we have here in brazil (27%), but other owners from the States reported something similar.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 Carb

Hi Daryl! I was about to process your Squarebirds application when I saw that John ~ jopizz was taking care of it! Many of us on here have replaced the old OEM Carter, Holley or other carbs with the much newer Edelbrock 1406. I have one and it works great. However, you can get a kit for your carb that is on there now, and either go through it yourself, or have a good carb mechanic restore it for you and put it back on that Tbird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've also used the Edelbrock 1406 in place the old Ford/Autolite 4100. It works very well and is easy to install.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Edelbrock 1406 for sure as the others have stated. I have them both on my 58 & 60 but have kept the originals.
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I was having the same problem with the fuel bowls going dry in a very short period of time. I pulled the carb off of the car and set it on the workbench, filled the bowls with fuel, and checked it a week later and there was hardly any fuel loss if any. Granted, there was no engine heat to help evaporation, but I figured if it holds on the bench, why not on the car. One thing I found is that the tapered spacer between the carb and intake manifold was pretty badly warped. I used a flat plate and some sandpaper until I got it flat on both sides. I put the carb back on the car and was very careful to evenly torque the hold down bolts and have not had a problem since. It's a guess, but I'm thinking that if you tweak the carb enough from the warped spacer, it can cause the power valve to leak, and since the power valves are usually in the bottom of the float bowl, there goes the fuel. Just a theory. Anyway, I can let the car sit for a week or two with no problem. Also, being in Californian, we have E10. Oh yeah, I'm still using the Autolite 4100.
            Nyles

Comment

• artvandalay
              • Oct 13 2017

Thanks guys.
              Seems like everyone is going with the Edelbrock 1406.
              That's the one i was leaning towards but never hurts to ask. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Again I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎