Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1964 To 1966 Flairbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   drivers door handle actuator (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21744)

Larry Tappen 07-08-2017 01:47 PM

drivers door handle actuator

I have a 64 bird.the drivers door handle actuator spring is broken. is there a replacement for this part? I can't find one anywhere. all parts dealers want to rebuild mine but all I need is the spring. thanks for help, larry.

OUR5T8BIRD 07-08-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Tappen (Post 109483)
I have a 64 bird.the drivers door handle actuator spring is broken. is there a replacement for this part? I can't find one anywhere. all parts dealers want to rebuild mine but all I need is the spring. thanks for help, larry.

Inside or outside door handle ?

simplyconnected 07-08-2017 06:10 PM

Give us an idea by part number:

Here's a closer view:

Hope this helps. - Dave

OUR5T8BIRD 07-08-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 109488)
Give us an idea by part number:

Here's a closer view:

Hope this helps. - Dave

For inside it is part # 21818 and comes as an assembly . For out side it is part of 22454 and comes as a kit back in the day . May have a used spring if that helps him .

Larry Tappen 07-09-2017 06:41 PM

inside door actuator

sorry . the door actuator is for the inside door handle. seems everyone wants to either sell a new one or rebuild the old one. al I need is the spring. one parts dealer wants to rebuild the old one, told him all I wanted was the spring,said he didn't have because they send them out for rebuild. if I knew the rebuild company I think they would sell just the spring. t bird vender wouldn't tell me the name of the rebuilder:(

OUR5T8BIRD 07-09-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Tappen (Post 109498)
sorry . the door actuator is for the inside door handle. seems everyone wants to either sell a new one or rebuild the old one. al I need is the spring. one parts dealer wants to rebuild the old one, told him all I wanted was the spring,said he didn't have because they send them out for rebuild. if I knew the rebuild company I think they would sell just the spring. t bird vender wouldn't tell me the name of the rebuilder:(

That small pivot spring is around the shaft and sandwiched between two metal pieces welded together. Don't think you could change the spring . I have seen them use a regular spring on the pivot to any convenient hole in the door . Most used units that have the broken spring are from the driver door as it gets most use . Good luck in our repair.