X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Restifier52
    Experienced
    • Jul 26 2011

Radiator Shroud, Cooling Question

Hi everyone! My question today is does any one have a recommendation for a fabricator in my area (Detroit Metro, SE Lower MI)? I would like to have an aluminum shroud built. I made one myself out of fiberglass and was very proud of it and myself until it started to melt. I have a couple pictures of the engine bay in older posts. The 351W was holding at 210 degrees on my around the block drive. I don't know if that is good or if it should be lower. I do know it felt mighty hot under the hood. The MSD on the fender was to hot to touch comfortably. My 14" fan's max CFM is 2950. I'm assuming that with no shroud I am not attaining that. The radiator is aluminum dual row crossflow with a fin area of 22.25" by 15.5".
    How can I tell if the water pump is circulating the coolant?
    As always, thanks tons.
    1960 HT
    Thunderbird Registry #35780
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

Simple test to see if pump is circulating is to check the temperatures at top and bottom of radiator (or top and bottom hoses). If the T-stat is open and the pump is putting out then you should have similar temps.

I'd recommend having the heater running at the same time and check both hoses at the heater core to make sure you have circulation there too.

Comment

Hey Rick,
      I got metal one off Ebay that came off '64 Galaxie! Very few modifications and works very well. I got her out one day this summer and it was 98 degrees outside, temp gauge just barely touched the T on temp! Before she would hover around the P or above
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radiator Shroud, Cooling Question

Like Richard, I got a metal one off a '63 Galaxie, off of eBay. As he said, there were only minor modifications to be made to the mounting of it, and that was at the bottom. Mine has worked very well for me also, but keep in mind, I have the OEM radiator in mine and I think so does Richard. However, it might be worthwhile checking into to see if you can find a metal one off an early 60's Galaxie. Also take a look at the Technical Resource Library, as there is some information about other shrouds there. Click on the link under my signature element.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

I have the Dearborn Classics fiberglass reprod.
          It's ok. Does not look close to orig. If I run across a real
          metal one off a Galaxie or Merc, I'll bet it. I'm also running
          a 7 blade flex fan. Doesn't look orig either. I'll prob just paint
          it black. I'm running a 180 t-stat and a 4 row.
          My bird never (knock on wood) ever runs hot. Buck 85, buck 95 tops
          even on a triple didget day.
          Hope that helps

Comment

Hey Guys,
            John also had a good point I forgot to mention! I also changed my fan out for a six blade also off a Galaxie!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎