X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kenneybert
    Apprentice
    • Jun 21 2012

engine swap

has anyone ever took the original engine out and replaced it with another one ,, I have a 1977 ford granada that Im going to take the master cyl and rotors and disc brakes and put on my 1959 thinderbird,, I know they will fit with a little machining for the lower ball joint ,, but it also has a perfect running 302 engine ,, how hard would that be to take my 390 out and swap it with the 302 and tranny ?????
  • KULTULZ

I think you will be disappointed in the loss of performance, but it is do-able.

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

You will lose a lot of torque. The 302 was designed for a much lighter car.

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

And the 1977 model engine had really low performance as far as 302's go. I think it's rated at like 135 hp. I'd look for another 390 if you need another engine.
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• kenneybert
          Apprentice
          • Jun 21 2012

engine swap

its a good running 390 engine ,, everyone told me to drop a 302 in it and never have to worry about it ..maybe ill just keep the 390 in it ..I have several good running 352 engines..I just thought while I was ruining a perfect good 1977 granada by taking the front brakeing system off and putting on my tbird Id just go ahead and use the engine as well..you know get all I can get from the granada if i was going to destroy it lol.. I just cant get going on it cause it is a very drivable granada with a super nice body ..but its bound to happen..

Comment

• KULTULZ

I just cant get going on it cause it is a very drivable granada with a super nice body ..but its bound to happen...
            Think of it this way, that period GRANADA was one ugly piece of automobile...

You could successfully power an early BIRD with a 302 but not the one from that car. It is a mechanical smog engine and seriously underpowered. Maybe keep it and later bring it to 5.0L specs with fuel injection and it would make a better candidate (351W would be even better).

If you do decide to swap, please consider keeping all of the original drive train as it will be more valuable @ resell in the future.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

A 460 and a C6 will fit.
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• sanpengyou
                • Oct 11 2013

Dakota Boy.

I'm considering the 460 C6 combo for my 59. Any advice? Where would you put it on a 1-10 difficulty scale?

Comment

• Traxxas
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 24 2010

Originally posted by sanpengyou
                  Dakota Boy.

I'm considering the 460 C6 combo for my 59. Any advice? Where would you put it on a 1-10 difficulty scale?
                  I'm running a C6 and it fit right in. The only thing I would say to watch out for was when the 428CJ went in the headers hit the walls and needed to be modified.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎