X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

'60 Leather Seat Covers

Spoke with a long-time friend with a VTCA Senior '60 SR in KC tonight (it's the red '60 in "Thunderbird 50 Years" and also pictured in VTCI's '58-'60 OFS manual) about a problem he's having with new leather seat covers from Thunderbird Headquarters, and I want to get others' input for him. He got a set of leather covers and foam for his car - upholstery shop attempted to fit front seat back covers and found out that the material between the insert and the edge of the seat back is not uniform in width on both of them. When the cover is pulled over the seat the seam at the edge of the seat back is 3/4" lower on one side, meaning the seam at the edge of the cushion does not follow the frame/cushion properly, with all other positioning for the bottom of the cushion and insert being centered on the cushion. In looking at pictures it's hard to tell if the surround/"Horseshoe" is incorrect or if the insert is not positioned properly. (Pictures are posted in a photo album at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/squarebirds in the folder Mis-fitting '60 Leather Covers (or something to that effect.)

They called Mike at TBHQ and his response was that the right and left front seat backs are different, and that he probably needed the other side's cover for a matching set. In looking through my copy of the '60 Soft Trim Catalog there is no distinction between a LH and RH front seat back cover. From pictures he sent it looks like the "horseshoe" (for lack of a better phrase) is shorter on one side than the other - in short it doesn't look right!

Questions to all:
    1. Those with leather seats, esp. originals, what is the measurement from the seam at the edge of the seat frame/cushion to the seat insert at the sides, upper corners and upper middle? And what is the measurement between the seams for the panel that forms the side/top of the cover at the seat hinge/bottom, upper corners and top center?
    2. Those who have gotten replacement leather covers from TBHQ - have you also had this problem, and how did TBHQ resolve it?
    Last edited by Alan H. Tast, AIA; May 21, 2009, 12:36 AM. Reason: Add'l Info/Link
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Hi Alan, I had exactly the same problem with leather seat cover replacements for my 60 from a different vendor, who, as I found out EVENTUALLY, gets theirs made by someone else. My guess is TBHQ also has theirs done by the same third party as the decription you gave is SPOT ON to the problem I had.

The vendor that I used was Larrys and they ended going back to their supplier and getting new leather and making them in house. They sent me a trial fitting pair. The whole process took some 9 months but that was due to where I live and the tyranny of distance. I the new ones now and they are due to be fitted next week. They certainly look better than the first lot and are at least square. What I will attempt to do over the next 24 hours or so is measure them in all ways (as they arent on the car yet) and scan in what will be a poor attempt at a drawing of them with measurements noted.

Rod from Larrys was my contact and I will say that he stuck with it for the 9 months and didnt give up till it was right, so kudos to them / him. My advice to anyone ordering, go to Larrys! (and ask for Rod)
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Coral
      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Frankly, I've never heard of such a thing....the idea behind making seat coverings the same size creates less expense on the manufacturers end.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

Poor-Fitting '60 Leather Covers

OK, folks, if there's more that have had this problem it's time to use the power of this and similar forums to get the vendor to fix their patterns and get it right! The more backup for this the better! It's not right to spend almost $1000 for leather covers and not fit correctly.

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

It certainly sounds like both TBHQ and Larry's are using the same supplier, which is not surprising (leather covers for 1960's TBirds certainly is a "niche" market) so maybe someone could find out just who that is.

I bought carpetting a year ago from MAC's and when it arrived, it had been shipped from the auto carpet company direct to me; MAC's never laid a finger on it. The point here is: most of these parts places such as TBHQ and so on are merely coordinating sources and buyers (us) and never actually make anything. But as Alan has pointed out, they have to be leaned on to get the problem solved once and for all so everyone benefits. This is all a waste of time, materials and shipping costs - right now everyone loses.

Personally I can't imagine being much more disappointed than shelling out $1000 or so (I assume this does not cover the installation which ain't cheap) for really nice seat covers and having it not fit right!! Speaking of installation, you are going to have this done twice, right ? So is TBHQ going to reimburse you for the extra cost?? I doubt it...

I had the foam replaced in my car a few years ago - same seat covers. Just the labor was $150 per seat. I sure as heck would not want to pay twice!!!

This has got to get taken care of once and for all. Let's see if we can find out who the supplier is.

John
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Penelope
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 4 2008

Seat cover (very poor) drawings and dimensions

Herewith as promised are the measurements for 1960 leather seat covers. I humbly apologise to anyone that uses drawings with measurements for a living for the botch up here.

These measurements are from seatcovers that fit as I put them over my current seat covers tonight to check. They are not blemished by different measurements on each sides "cos Ford made 'em like that" and whoever said that is full of that well known stuff. If anyone has any questions about the drawings / measurements I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability, which is, as you can plainly see, is mediocre to say the least
            Attached Files
            sigpicBill

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by JohnG
              It certainly sounds like both TBHQ and Larry's are using the same supplier, which is not surprising (leather covers for 1960's TBirds certainly is a "niche" market) so maybe someone could find out just who that is.
              I thought the 1959 & 1960 Leather seat covers were identical? I know the 1960 vinyls were entirely different...

-Jon
              Last edited by tbird430; May 21, 2009, 11:03 AM.
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

I just went out and measured Corals seats...18" from top seam to floor left hand side, 17" from top seam on right hand side
                Top seam is 14" across this was measuring from the rear- measured the drivers seat only as I am cramped for time

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

I wanna know where you got a set of leather covers for $1,000. T'bird HQ's web site lists it at $1,295, which is $200 less than they used to be.

Still, about $1,295 more than I have to spend.

I think the '59 had vertical ribs and the '60 had horizontal.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 5 2008

Seat Cover Measurement Info Update

I have uploaded a PDF file to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/squarebirds/files under 'Images' subfolder which has pages from the '60 Body/Trim Assembly Manual - second page of the file has notes on what is needed for dimensions for the front seat back covers. For those following along at home, the basic part number for the cover is C0SB-634416: a 3-digit suffix follows this that gives material/color usage, i.e. -A11 for red leather.

I had a phone message from my friend tonight noting that TBHQ was getting him a new set of covers. However, I want to make sure there is a consensus on the dimensions in question in order to get things right. That way we all benefit from this exercise.

Comment

• Penelope
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by dgs
                      I
                      I think the '59 had vertical ribs and the '60 had horizontal.
                      Other way around I reckon Doug, my 60 has vertical and my 59 has horizontal
                      sigpicBill

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎