X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

Quarter Window Stop

I am reinstalling completely disassembled quarter windows. I have power windows.

I have all the diagrams. However, the stop that mounts to the window frame is hitting the regulator arm when the window moves up and down. I just can't figure out how it should install.

Advice please!!!

Kevin
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Kev, I know you have the illustrations, but could you tell us where the collision hits?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• kevin_tbird
      Experienced
      • Jun 12 2011

part 29998 hits the regulator arm (which is part of the motor assembly)

Comment

• kevin_tbird
        Experienced
        • Jun 12 2011

I've included some photos. In the closeup of the arm/stop in the car the stop is removed, but you can see the holes. The window in the car is the drivers side. The one out of the car is the passenger side.

The regulator arm continues to sweep down (pic in car) as the sector gear moves and the arm hits the stop.

I must have this assembled wrong - but I do not see the answer. Top front of the window also does not go fully to the top and moves too far forward.

Please help. Only a couple days of vacation left this week and this is THE project keeping me off the road.

Thanks,
        Kevin
        Attached Files

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

Kevin,
          I see the problem now, but even tho I've worked with these many times, I've had this problem but don't recall how I worked thru it. I don't have an opened up quarter section to have a refresher look, but I'll pass on some observations. The arm in your photo of the right side laying down (3rd I believe) appears to have a depression in it. This could be from the camera position, but I'd first start with making sure the arms lay in a flat plane. I might even resort to adding a slight bend of my own to add some clearance. Since you say the window does not go up all the way and goes forward too far, you don't have the window adjusted properly, particularly the long bar that goes from the body at the bottom to the bottom of the window opening. I've spent more than a half a day trying to understand and get this adjustment to work.
          How does it meet the rubber weather channel at the top? In or out here will alter how the arm clears the stop.
          To summarize: Make sure the arms lay flat, and if possible put an outward curve (away from the window) in the offending arm; Adjust the window properly; Grind the stop to round the corner or remove any excess on the stop; persevere!
          Good luck,
          Carl

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Its been a year and a half since I rebuilt my qtrs., but the "angle" of your motor on the drivers side just looks odd to me...

Are you sure you didnt flip flop the mechanisms to the wrong side of the car? but then maybe they wouldnt even bolt up if that was the case.
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

I haven't taken apart and reassembled a rear quarter window myself, so I can't speak from experience. I've looked at the Ford Illustrations, your pictures and have added a cartoon diagram from Ford circa 1958 of a crank window assembly, realising your's is a power window setup.

When I compare your photos and the cartooned illustration, the window appears to be in the same position. Your photo clearly shows that the mechanism interferes with the upper window stop on the window frame, while the cartoon shows the mechanism is forward of the same stop.

If the cartoon can be trusted, it would seem the something isn't assembled correctly. On your drivers side, with the upper stop removed, do you have full range of travel from top to bottom of the window? I suggest you observe the travel of the window to see if there are any other interferences or problems with the operation. The roller assembly isn't install either (part # 23240), would this gain you any clearance when they are installed?

I hope this was of some help.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GTE427; September 16, 2011, 11:04 AM.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Kevin,

Most of the binding problems are caused by the guide channel not being adjusted correctly. That's the one held in place by two bolts, part number 30244. I see yours is adjusted all the way up. Both of mine are almost all the way down. By the paint marks it looks like yours were originally all the way down too. That's also the reason your window goes too far forward. Everything looks assembled correctly.

John
                Last edited by jopizz; September 16, 2011, 11:46 AM.
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• del
                  Retired Expert Enthusiast
                  • May 11 2010

Kevin - Here are some photos of my left qtr window mechanism. I can take more or maybe answer some questions while I have the trim panel off - -let me know.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Don Vincent
                  Amherst NY
                  1960 HT 352
                  TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 12 2011

Don -

Thanks for the photos. A couple of photos that would help are:

1. one that shows how the motor/regulator is mounted (which holes in the body).

2. one of the front window guide looking down from the top of the car. Part # 29752 in the diagram in the earlier post. Also a photo showing where the two adjusting bolts at the top of this part are aligned.

Don. I'm thinking that my problem is in how I have part 29752 installed. I need to adjust it up and back at the top, but am out of adjustment room. Thank you so much for helping.

regards, kevin

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 12 2011

John -

I'll try moving it around some more. The paint marks are from me trying different positions. This is (was) a fresh paint job - inside and out.

Kevin

Comment

• del
                        • May 11 2010

more window pics

Kevin - Hope these help. If not give me a call and you can point me to what you need 716-704-5621. Don
                        Attached Files
                        Regards,
                        Don Vincent
                        Amherst NY
                        1960 HT 352
                        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                          Experienced
                          • Jun 12 2011

Don - those pics are very informative. I'm getting very close now. It turns out that there is a small amount of play in mounting the regulator/motor assembly. The bottom needs to be moved as far to the back of the car and as far up as possible. Made a difference for me.

There is what looks like a nut between the guide channel and the metal panel of the car being used as a spacer (bottom picture). Do you have this setup on both sides? It doesn't look right to me.

Also, where the front channel window channel is mounted to the bottom of the car you have a small piece that is bolted to the rear of the bracket with two bolts (second picture from top). I don't have that part. can you determine it's function? I'd really like to see a picture of just that part - I may need to fabricate one (two).

Thanks so much for the help. This has been very informative.

Kevin

Comment

• del
                            • May 11 2010

more pics

Kevin - If I understand your 1st question correctly, Yes the nut you refer to is present on both sides. See first pic. Regarding the other piece, see pics 2&3. It appears to be some kind of stop. The black color is some kind of rubberized coating.
                            Attached Files
                            Regards,
                            Don Vincent
                            Amherst NY
                            1960 HT 352
                            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 30 2009

I dont have that little coated bracket on my car either. It must've been lost to the ages.

I suppose it's a lower "stop" of some sort.
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎