X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveSouthampton
    Apprentice
    • Nov 19 2013

Towing

I've now got my registration , 262 UYG ( ugh lol ) , which will do for now, so I can venture out onto the UK roads

I'm a member of the AA ( a breakdown / recovery service ) so theres help available should it break down. As my car is an unknown entity, although it appears to run and drive fine, I'm still a little nervous.

They have recovery vehicles with a sliding bed that rises to an angle and then they winch it on. I'm not convinced this will work due to the angle of the bed and the length of the car... I think the exhausts and rear end will catch on the ground.

An alternative is to tow it, but I was always under the impression you couldnt tow an automatic transmission. However I read in the original owners handbook about push starting it with it in N.

Questions...

1) Can it be towed in N . Are there any implications or gotchas to consider.

2) where to connect the tow rope / winch at the front. I saw a thread on here where the towing co. put it somewhere on the front end which wrecked the steering / suspension.

It may be that the AA can get a proper trailer to recover it, I'm not sure yet, but I need to be prepared for all eventualities.

Thanks again for all your help guys
  • DaveSouthampton
    Apprentice
    • Nov 19 2013

oh and once I've got it polished and gleaming, I'll post a few pics

Comment

• LuckyJay
      • Jan 4 2007

I've been told that towing these cars more than just a minimum distance can cause the transmission to overheat. One way to solve this would be to disconnect the drive shaft from the differential. (then tie it off so that it does not come out of the transmission thus leaking the tranny fluid) I would opt for the flatbed tow, if given the choice. As for a tow point to attach a chain, cable or rope, I'd prefer the cross-member under the engine or the frame horns behind the bumper.

Comment

• DaveSouthampton
        Apprentice
        • Nov 19 2013

Thanks for that Jay

I'm currently in Poland until Tuesday so I dont have my shop manual etc. with me, but I assume this is just a case of undoing some bolts etc.

If so then I'll perhaps make sure they can be undone before I venture out on the road.

Are they ones that need to be torque wrenched etc. ?

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

If you tie the steering wheel so it doesn't move and lift the rear of the car, you can tow forever without detaching any parts.

The flatbed trailer is the very best way to tow but when that is not an option, lift the rear. The front wheels have simple axle bearings that 'freewheel'.

Mind you, this car is heavy. If the tow vehicle isn't well suited, you will have the tail wagging the dog. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Towing

What I and others have found when having a Squarebird flatbedded is that it is good that you be there to watch the operation. That is probably good advice for other years of Tbirds also. Make sure you tell the flatbed driver that they have to get the angle of their flatbed set properly if they are going to winch the Tbird from the rear (or the front) onto the flatbed. Otherwise, if they are not careful, they can damage or rip off your exhaust pipes, your gas tank or anything else that scrapes the ground as they winch it onto the flatbed. I have had mine picked up several times by flatbed and knowing what others have said here on the Forum about the dangers of damaging the car when doing this, I made sure they knew about it. So far, they have been very careful to make sure they have proper clearance and have not damaged the car in doing so.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most times in order to keep it from dragging when loading it on a flatbed you need to put some boards under the wheels to raise it up.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Good heads up on that one. I have read several posts where cars have been damaged, either by towing or winching on a flat bed. Think I'll pump up the air shocks to give me as much clearance as i can get. Would never have thought about that till now.
                Nyles

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎