No announcement yet.

Tri Power Setup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Power Setup

I ran into to issues and took almost all summer, but I finally have the bird back on the road.

Yabba Dabba!!!

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Look ripper mate, really good, I like the 'old-skool' look of a tri-power!!

Had a mate with a 390 T-Bucket with that set-up but with the oval air-filter, a very impressive looking rod engine.

Were tri-power set-ups offered in '66??

Oh, and I notice on your model the engine sits waay forwards from the firewall compared to my '66 - anybody know why the design was like that in the early 'birds??
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Skyd, that looks way cool, in fact the entire car is impressive. Side by side burnouts with you and EG?

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Skyd: Love your car. A real HotRod!!!!!
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by scumdog
            Oh, and I notice on your model the engine sits waay forwards from the firewall compared to my '66 - anybody know why the design was like that in the early 'birds??
            The AC is missing on this beuty, and that take up the space between the engine and firewall otherwise.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Absolutely Beautiful Detail Work!

You are gifted, thats for sure.

Can I ask how you operate the kickdown lever on the trans?

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
                The AC is missing on this beuty, and that take up the space between the engine and firewall otherwise.
                OH, never have seen one with A/C - and the '66 model does not have that gap - for A/C or anything.

So it seems a **** of a gap!!
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by scumdog
                  OH, never have seen one with A/C - and the '66 model does not have that gap - for A/C or anything.

So it seems a **** of a gap!!
                  Here is the big black box that holds the AC.

Comment

Thanks for the nice words Guys, its nice to see that hard work is always appreciated here.

One day I plan to get my car to EG's Coast for some west coast cruizin. Would love to get a big group of birds and hit the road... What an awesome sight that would be.

I don't have a kick down hooked up yet, for now I have been manually shifting. I have a ratchet floor shifter in her(fun to shift!!)

I took the AC about 4 years ago when I first started the engine work. Next year I may get it back in. I need to find a good cover.

Next is to steel EG's New Ribbed valve covers to match the Air Cleaners

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by skyd

I don't have a kick down hooked up yet, for now I have been manually shifting. I have a ratchet floor shifter in her(fun to shift!!)
                      I see you have a LOKAR installation, I am assuming of your design. I see what may be a provision for the kickdown rod (or cable).

Can you describe the assembly? Is it custom or store bought?

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

Nice intake set up.

I like the home-made fan shroud as well. Can u tell a cooling difference?
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird430
                          Nice intake set up.

I like the home-made fan shroud as well. Can u tell a cooling difference?

I definitely notice a difference now. Last summer, I couldn't get her to stay cool, while cruising through town, As so many of us.

Last week she sat running for about 1/2hour and never got above 200. and it was about 90-95 out. while slow rolling through town she stays at about 195-190. I am very happy with the results so far.

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                          I see you have a LOKAR installation, I am assuming of your design. I see what may be a provision for the kickdown rod (or cable).

Can you describe the assembly? Is it custom or store bought?
                          I winded up going with a lokar cable and pedal and found some $10 bracket at the local auto shop. I started fabricating a bracket and rod that would utilize the existing pedal, but when I saw the this cable bracket for $10 I figure why waste time when I could spend $50 for a lokar pedal and cable. I mounted the pedal on the firewall, drilled a hole through the fiewall and mounted the cable through that.

I can take some pics tonight of the pedal and cable assembly if you are interested.

There is a spot for a kickdown cable on the bracket, I would need to see where i could attach the cable to(on the carbs) for it to for it to work properly.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by skyd

I winded up going with a lokar cable and pedal and found some $10 bracket at the local auto shop. I started fabricating a bracket and rod that would utilize the existing pedal, but when I saw the this cable bracket for $10 I figure why waste time when I could spend $50 for a lokar pedal and cable. I mounted the pedal on the firewall, drilled a hole through the fiewall and mounted the cable through that.

I can take some pics tonight of the pedal and cable assembly if you are interested.

There is a spot for a kickdown cable on the bracket, I would need to see where i could attach the cable to(on the carbs) for it to for it to work properly.
                            So the mounting bracket is LOKAR also? Yes, if you could take some close-ups.

Comment

Actually, I think the bracket is a Mr. Gasket, I did some minor rigging on that one. Lokar makes one that is a perfect fit for the cable I bought, but at the time I was going a different route.

Here are some close ups:

let me know if you want to see other angles, hopefully these will help.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎