X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Steering Box Lube - Alex

In a post some time back, I found a post by Alex about what lube to use in the steering box.

"Use MOTORCRAFT XG 1-C Chassis Lube instead of the original Ford Lubricant B8A-19578-A" Thanks Alex.

I removed the fill plug on my 60 HT steering box, and found that I need to fill it -- big time.

My question is this -- how do you fill the steering box through that 1/2 inch hole? Do I just stick the end of the grease gun into the hole and keep pumping? It's obvious that it's not going to "flow" through the gear box, and will overflow out the top as I try to pump grease though a small hole.

Is that just the way it is, or am I missing something here.

Thanks
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

The shop manual states that the lowest housing bolt should be removed. The wheels should be turned to the left and the lubricant be put into the filler hole until lubricant comes out of the lower housing bolt hole.

How do you know you are low on lubricant? Is the housing leaking?
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

I have the 60 shop manual, and now I see the reference as to how to fill it -- "removing the lowest housing bolt with wheels turned to the left". Thanks for that Alex.

Remaining two questions:

The housing is not leaking, When I removed the the top filler bolt to inspect the grease level, I could not see much grease at all. The Ball Nut and Sector Gear were visible through the hole with hardly any grease. I would think that the grease level should be high enough to cover them. Do you think?

Also, what brand grease would you use. The Motorcraft XG 1-C isn't readily available to me. I'm reluctant to use synthetic because I'm afraid that I might start having a seal leak.

Thanks
      Bart
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

A good grade of chassis or wheel bearing grease should be good. The Ford specification is ESA-M1C75-B . Synthetic should be okay, as it is still viscous, and should not leak out.

I haven't looked into the steering box for a while, but I assume that while all the components may not be immersed in grease, they should not be dry.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

I have a good grade of Valvoline semi- synthetic chassis lube that should work. I'll fill it a little at a time using the shop manual directions.

By the way, here is a link to the complete Rotunda catalog. It helps me to actually see a photo of, and read a description of, what the shop manual part numbers look like in a photo.

Example: Shop Manual number B8A-19578A Lube, shows up in the Rotunda Catalog as "Steering Gear Lubricant" part number C3AZ 19578-A (Rotunda # R157A).

You probably already have this, but it may help someone else.

I've been a silent viewer for 2 years, and have gained a LOT of information from this site. All that I've had to work with is this site, and my shop manual -- I'm very greatful. My bird is a 60 Black HT (like yours Alex), with red leather, 430, factory A/C, all the power options, and exterior chrome kit. I hope to have a photo soon.

Thanks again for all of the help -- to all.
          Bart
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

That is a cool catalog. I have not seen that one before.

I am glad this site has been of help to you. That is what it is for. Thanks for posting.

I hope a lot of the other silent viewers start posting. Don't be embarrassed, we are a friendly group.
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

Thanks Alex -- please take a look at this.

An empty gear box takes 11 Oz of gear lube (shop manual)
              A full tube of grease has 14.5 Oz of grease.
              It took 8 Oz to fill my box (about 80+ grease gun pumps)

WOW !!!!!!!!

I've had the car for 2 years, but it's not a daily driver. No gear box leaks or problems at all. Thanks to this web site, checking the steering box was just something that I did prior to adjusting the pre-load and backlash. I was really shocked that it was that low on grease.

After removing the filler plug, the gear grease in the box should be at or near the top of the filler hole. If it's not, then the steering box needs to be filled with more grease.

To close this thread, here are the steps in filling the gear box.

Following the shop manual:

1. Start the engine (easier that way), turn the wheels to the far left, hold it there and shut off the engine.

2. Remove the lowest steering gear "top cover bolt". This is the bolt closest to the manifold.

3. Remove the "filler plug" on top of the gear box.

4. Using a good grade of chassis grease in a grease gun, insert the grease gun tip into the filler plug hole. A normal grease gun tip will fit into the filler plug hole easily.

5. Pump grease into the gear box untill you see it just beginning to exit from the bolt hole that you removed from the top cover in step 2. At this point, the gear box is full.

(If you now look into the steering gear box, you will see that the level of the grease is up to the top of the filler plug threads. That's what it should look like when the grease level is checked)

6. Replace and tighten the top cover bolt, and filler plug.

The chassis grease is being gravity fed into the steering box, so there is no chance of overfilling it, or blowing a seal.

I plan to check the level again after driving the car two or three times. The level may get lower due to gravity and heat effects on the grease in the box.

Hope that this helps someone avoid a problem.
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Thanks for the information. I will check my cars.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• Eric S
                  Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

This link seems to be no longer valid :http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamm...A/rotuncat.htm

I did found a Rotunda company on the web but looks like they are working on new Fords...
                  I am interested in "photo of, and read a description of, what the shop manual part numbers look like in a photo".

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

Use John Deere Corn Head Grease in the steering box
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Eric S
                      Super-Experienced

• Jun 10 2018

Thank you
                      I talked to my lubricant supplier and I will use the general purpose grease I do have in stock. It is matching Ford's specs.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎