X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeL
    Apprentice
    • Apr 8 2008

Exhaust System Source

I'm looking to replace the exhaust system on my '60 and I'd like to hear from anyone who can recommend a source for a system that will fit and look correct. My car only has 20k miles and it still has the original exhaust system (except for the mufflers). I think I've gotten all the life out of it that I can. I would like to install a new aluminized system but I am concerned about everything fitting properly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Exhaust System Source

Mike, there are a number of Tbird parts houses that you can get new correct exhaust systems for your Squarebird. Check the Advertisements Forum. Going with one of them should insure that you get all the correct components. If you want to see if you can get a good set of used components, check with the Bird Nest in Oregon, the Bird House in Delaware, not to far from you, and Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here. They all have parts cars available to them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Mike,

I would check with Carl and see where he gets his exhaust systems from. Carl builds concours correct cars so he would know who has the most original fitting system. Some systems will look and fit fine but they may cut the H pipe and the longer pipes to make it easier to ship. You just need to use extra clamps or have it welded.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

If you ever find a good exhaust shop, those guys can bend and make anything. Yes, pre-bent pipes can be used but even those have sloppy spec's. A good muffler shop can tweak them to fit right.

I had a custom exhaust system made for my EFI Mustang. The oxygen sensors needed bungs, the H pipe needed a correctly placed crossover and the pipes needed to be huge. No problem for a skilled muffler shop. They eliminated the catalytic converters and they placed the 3-chamber Flowmasters perfectly.

I'm not suggesting you have a custom exhaust system made but it is a viable option for anyone with a classic car. Most guys who buy headers run into custom exhaust work. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Mike all have made good points on the exhaust system. For a dollar value comparison,a couple of years ago I had a new aluminum/ steel system installed on my wife's 58 from the black back for $900 CDN. Well worth it as it is whisper quiet and as Dave says the muffler shop knew exactly how to install.
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

I had a custom shop here do mine because I installed headers. I supplied them with Flowmaster mufflers off a late model Mustang, and they installed 2.5" all the way, including an H pipe. They use modern type hangers, got it tight against the drive shaft tunnel, and it looks great. Cost was under $350.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Around here (Detroit suburban area), many 'car' shops love to work on classic cars. I'm not suggesting they do it for free but **** near.

One guy gave me a dozen of those rubber shock absorber 'bumpers' for two bucks. Another guy offered a whole steering column, my choice, for free. (I didn't take one because I only stopped to see what he had.)

The guy who bent my custom exhaust system only charged $250. He was a young kid who just learned how to bend pipe and fabricate exhaust systems. He asked me to come back after the boss was gone so I did. He simply worked better without someone looking over his shoulder and he wanted to do the entire job himself.

Some months ago I repaired an expansion tank for John Goulet. Once the radiator shop learned it was for a '59 T-bird they charged nothing to leak test it. They are all proud to be part of our restorations. In turn, I tell local people who to bring their cars to for good service.

BTW, exhaust systems that come to Ford from the OEM have real sloppy spec's. You would think that Ford has a checking fixture as a 'standard' to make sure the parts fit correctly. Nope. If guys on the line can't make the pipes fit we simply send them back and charge the vendor 3X for our labor.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dave it great to get them young and of course he wanted to do the " right " job without the boss around
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍