No announcement yet.

Master cylinder and stoplight switch

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master cylinder and stoplight switch

So I am ordering a replacement master cylinder and stoplight switch but there are two types for each. One for power brakes and the other for manual brakes. Which does the 63 thunderbird have? I know theres a brake booster behind my master cylinder but which application is necessary, power or manual? Im seeing these items on [www.partsamerica.com]
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Master cylinder and stoplight switch

All Ford/Thunderbird stoplight switches are the same from 1958 to 1964. No difference between power and manual.

All master cylinders for Thunderbirds from 1961-64 are the same: 7/8 inch diameter.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

RE: Master cylinder and stoplight switch

Great thanks a lot! You're the man alexander!!:7

Comment

• texastomeh
        Apprentice
        • Aug 28 2007

I realize that this is an old thread, but looked like a good place to start.

As part of the "resto-mod" to my recently acquired '63 'Bird, I would like to upgrade the brakes. They are currently stock POWER Brakes (Drums/Drums) with a SINGLE Reservoir master cylinder. I would like to upgrade to a DUAL RESERVOIR system. I don't plan to upgrade to Disc.

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations re what year/model master cylinder would "best" fit/work, and any other comments and opinions if anyone else has experience (good or bad) with this particular mod/upgrade.

texastomeh

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

If you are not upgrading to disc, I would not recommend that you get a dual master cylinder, as there is none designed specifically designed for your car. You may find that your rear brakes lock up before your front brakes with a dual master cylinder setup. Dual Master cylinders are not fool-proof. I have had several fail over the years, resulting in no pedal pressure.

If you want a secure setup on your car. Resleeve your master cylinder with brass or stainless steel. http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html offers such a solution. Get stainless steel lines and new brake hoses. Get new brake cylinders or have them resleeved. Your chance of brake failure will be very low. All these parts can be obtained form T-Bird vendors. The brake lines are prebent and fit right in.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• texastomeh
            Apprentice
            • Aug 28 2007

Alexander,

Thanx for the response!!

I am in the process of replacing the wheel cylinders, hoses and hardlines.

I think I may just rebuid the existing single reservoir MC - at least for the present time.

Thanx again!!

texastomeh

Comment

• Thunder1962
              • Feb 16 2024

Which Dual Bowl Master Cylinder will fit my 62 Tbird without changing Power Booster?

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You can use a dual drum/drum power brake master cylinder from a 1967 Mustang. The issue you are going to run into however is the shock tower brace. It will probably hit the top of the master cylinder. You may need to find a flat top master cylinder or notch out the brace.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Thunder1962
                  • Feb 16 2024

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍