X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elvis
    Apprentice
    • Mar 31 2011

do I need this

Allo guys Im rewiring my t-bird and I thought the gray box was for the a/c so since I put a classic auto air systeme I wonder if I need it but in the plan look's like it's for overdrive transmission?? now Im not sure. I have a cruise-0 matic 3 speed tran so why do I have this overdrive relay I say some car has it and other not please educate me fellow t-birders
    Attached Files
    " go for your dreams "
    Yves as Elvissigpic
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you have power windows. That's a power window relay.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Good picture, elvis. You can re-mount these devices somewhere out of the way. The yellow wire going to the circuit breaker looks like it should really be re-done (closer to the battery), anyway. The wire is green at the lug. It looks like someone has also done some fancy footwork with the #6-AWG black wire (with the tie-rap holding it up).

But, that's the beauty of electrical devices... you can put them wherever you want and simply wire them. Keep using stranded THHN wire with crimped connectors. It's inexpensive, quality, and very available at Home Depot and Lowe's. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• kevin_tbird
        Experienced
        • Jun 12 2011

Actually, I think the relay and fuse are for power windows and/or a power seat.

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

I looked in my car and saw that there is a little difference as you have an aditional little grey box under the big that is missing in mine. What does that little box do? ( my AC is out at the moment, that´s why it´s empty there )
          Attached Files
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Anders, the wire coming from the battery needs some kind of overcurrent protection. These are self-resetting circuit breakers and they are probably 40-amp (or so). It looks like yours had one. Either you have one at the starter solenoid or somebody got rid of it.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• elvis
              Apprentice
              • Mar 31 2011

HI guys your right it is for power windows and yes Anders the small box is like a small breaker . Me and my friend did 20h in two days on the car. I'm getting there modified the wiring a bit the relay and breaker will be all in the car and refuse the whole enchiladas. thanks for all your help I really love this forum
              Attached Files
              " go for your dreams "
              Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

Hey Yves,
                Looking good! I see you have aftermarket AC. Was it much trouble and where are you going to put your vents?
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 14 2009

Wow!!

Man you guys do good work! Wish mine looked anything near that. No wonder guys laugh at my T-Bird, ask me if I dragged it out of a ditch. O well, i still love driving it. That 430 runs better than most.

Comment

• elvis
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 31 2011

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                    Hey Yves,
                    Looking good! I see you have aftermarket AC. Was it much trouble and where are you going to put your vents?
                    Richard D. Hord
                    the classic auto air is fine but the guy that packed my box was probably drunk there were missing parts and some extra parts that did nt fit . the condencer was for a corvette that's why it's not installed yet they re shipping the right one now other than that went pretty well yet I installed the kit while the engine and dash was not in the car that facilitated the job a lot. since I had A/C before I placed 2 cool air flex hose in the oginal A/C outlet with abs fiting the 2 others will be somewhere hiding under de dash I dont like the look of those outlet they have in te kit.
                    " go for your dreams "
                    Yves as Elvissigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elvis
                      the classic auto air is fine but the guy that packed my box was probably drunk there were missing parts and some extra parts that did nt fit . the condencer was for a corvette that's why it's not installed yet they re shipping the right one now other than that went pretty well yet I installed the kit while the engine and dash was not in the car that facilitated the job a lot. since I had A/C before I placed 2 cool air flex hose in the oginal A/C outlet with abs fiting the 2 others will be somewhere hiding under de dash I dont like the look of those outlet they have in te kit.
                      That's just great that you had a problem with them, that's where I was wanting to get mine You done the same thing I'm wanting to do, with the engine out and also the dash out! I'm thinking about (I got another set) the panels below the dash, brushed aluminum, cutting the vent holes in them and installing the vents there. Two per side should look pretty good I think
                      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

My new plenum looks like an ABS octopus with outlets all over, some for heat and some for cold. I love how innovative elvis was, routing to the old A/C ducts. Having the dash out really helps but you get the idea. Nothing says you must use the new 'under dash' vents that come with the system. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎