Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raptor1962
    • Jul 11 2006

Sway bar question

I have a 61 T-bird that I would like to convert over to a later model suspension (64-66) on the front. I'm not sure which specific year it is off of. What I want to do is upgrade the sway bar when I do this conversion. I am not sure which model year of sway bar I should order, a 61 or 64-66? The reason I'm doing this is for the added safety of the disc brakes and the improved handling of my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

You can get heavier duty sway bars for your year Thunderbird from several of the T-Bird suppliers. I found that even just changing the end bushings to polygraphite improved the handling of my car. You can get polygraphite busing from PST Suspension http://www.p-s-t.com/ . It is a quick and inexpensive upgrade.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• booalou
      Apprentice
      • Jun 7 2007

Sway bar bushing for a 62

Went to the sway bar site mentioned in the above thread but didn't see any parts for a 62 tbird. Are the bushing a one size fits all or did I just miss something?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The stabilizer end bushings are the same for nearly every American car from that era. It is the length of the bolt and tube that varies.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• booalou
          Apprentice
          • Jun 7 2007

Was the replacement just removing the old and isntalling the new? Is additional alignment work necessary as well?

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

The sway bar does not affect the alignement. To change the bushings, you just need to remove the bolts at the ends of the sway bar.
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍