• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Ford drops suit against counterfeiters and trademark infringers

Filed under: Aftermarket, Government/Legal, Ford

Ford has dropped a lawsuit against 13 individuals accused of selling counterfeit products with the automaker's trademarks, according to The Detroit News. The company originally wanted to acquire names, addresses, telephone numbers, bank account numbers and emails from sites like eBay and PayPal without informing the accused, but a federal magistrate judge in Detroit initially denied the request, ordering the sites instead to notify its users.

Ford appealed, saying notification would allow defendants time to destroy evidence and possibly flee before Ford and its lawyers could obtain their identities. The judge eventually relented, allowing Ford access to names and addresses but blocking other personal information. Ford withdrew the suit last week anyway.

The Detroit News reports a 2007 U.S. Chamber of Commerce study indicated that Ford loses around $1 billion per year to counterfeit auto parts. The report spurred the manufacturer to pursue offenders more vigorously. Counterfeit parts drag in $12 billion per year world wide, with $3 billion of that figure coming from the U.S. alone.Ford drops suit against counterfeiters and trademark infringers originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:44:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I have real mixed emotions about this... Squarebirds.org is a great supporter of Ford Motor Company and its products but we are not at liberty to show Ford's blue oval or any other trade mark. That's too bad for both parties. I understand if Ford doesn't defend their trade marks, they could lose them. Something isn't right about that, either (but that's how it is).

The laws are black and white with no gray areas. I would be hopping mad to discover that the parts I bought, marked with a Ford logo, didn't come from Ford at all. In that case, I hope Ford goes after those crooks with a vengeance. But still, I would like to see the enthusiast groups and clubs; the real supporters of Ford, empowered to show their loyalty to Ford by displaying Ford's logo. - Just my humble opinion. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎