X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

Installing a new engine

I own a 62 t-bird convertible with several small cracks in the block.Someone is selling a 64 fe390 casting C4AE the heads are later model but hesays he has C4AE-g heads to go with it.It also comes with a Edelbrock Aluminum Intake and a Holly 600. This engine has been broken in on the engine stand and ready to install. He wants 1000.00 dollars for it. So I would loose my orginal intake and my exhaust manifold also. What about using the autolite 4100 carb. Iam concern if I go with this would everything bolt right into place. Would I loose the choke assembly also being I would get the Holly 600. My motor has a two motor mount would this 64 engine have the same. Larry
  • ozbird
    Apprentice
    • Sep 21 2009

Hi Larry,

sounds like a deal. Suggest you look at this seriously and have all the standard items off your current engine swapped over. Then sell all the performance parts to make some $$ back.

And yes, it will fit without issues. Just do it.

Graeme

Comment

64' 390 ...

If it's a 64 it should bolt right in. Still a two bolt motor mount. That's a great price if your confident that who ever rebuilt it new what they were doing. Mike

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

You can use the heads, carb and intake from your engine. I don't think there's any substantial difference between the '64 and '62 heads. The '64 uses the same motor mount bosses that '62 did. In essence the '64 engine is externally the same as a '62: there are some improvements internally, such as the camshaft retainer plate vs the '62's thrust button, plus provision for the alternator mounting hole (and if you're getting a passenger car engine that had a generator it may not have the mounting hole). I ran a '64 engine in my '63 for many years and still have this engine available for sale, though the buyer will need to grind the crank and install new bearings for the lower end.
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎