• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Why your next car may not come with a CD player

Filed under: Technology, Ford, Design/Style

Michael Arbaugh, chief designer of Ford interiors, describes center console space as "oceanfront property" - already fully populated, with more tenants trying to move in every year. Speaking to the Automotive Press Association in Detroit, Arbaugh said one tenant he'd like to evict is the CD player because it's dead weight for audio Luddites.

Ok, so he didn't say that exactly. But Arbaugh believes they're out of fashion with people under 30, and that growing lack of interest means they occupy space that could be better employed. CD players also add weight that has to be countered somewhere else in the march to meet CAFE regulations, an endeavor with nearly aerospace tolerances anymore.

The CD-less car is just talk at the moment, but there's no doubt it's coming. More and more computers are being sold without optical drives, and as it goes in the tech world so it shall go in the car-tech world. If we could just get carmakers to properly integrate connections for other PMPs that can play lossless codecs and don't mutilate the music, we wouldn't mind at all.Why your next car may not come with a CD player originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 May 2012 08:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Why not?

I'm old enough to remember record players in cars of the 50's as the "big thing", and then we lost the 8-track and cassette players, so I see it as a normal progression. I just listen to XM radio and am not into all the music that my kids and grandkids are, but just to try it, I have downloaded music to a USB drive and plugged it into my car - and it worked easily. My kids have huge libraries on their I "thingies" and can just plug them in and listen in the cars as well as Bluetooth hands free phone. If a little square of plastic can hold hundreds or perhaps thousands of songs, do we really need to clutter up the sunvisors with holders that hold 8 or 10 CD disks? I give CDs 5 years and they will be eliminated from cars.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2011

You mean there is something newer than the "Town & Country" AM radio? Will wonders ever cease?
      Jim
      Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• SandyBoy
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

Up until 2 years age, I owned a concours show-car, that
        had a working 8-Track. I have about 40-50 8-Tracks that still played.
        When I sold the car I gave the 8-tracks to the new owner. (The car was a 1968 Imperial Crown Convertible with under 37,000 miles.

My wife's 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited has both a built-in Cassette player and a built-in CD player, factory installed. I like that set-up.
        My Lincoln Town Car has just a CD player.

Most of the time I just play the stereo !

Comment

• SandyBoy
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 31 2002

Nice Bird !!

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Jim just rattled my cage because I have a Town & Country radio in the '59. I sent it to Gary Tayman down in Flowerida and he performed miracles on it.

Not only does the wonder bar work, "T" scans AM, "C" scans FM. Yep, it's stereo. It has two RCA jacks in the back for my MP3 player that 'cuts-into whatever is playing', when on. It gives full left-to-right and front-to-back controls AND it looks BONE STOCK!

He turned this ho-hum am mono radio into a thing of beauty without changing any of the looks. No LEDs no extra buttons or switches. The light comes on with the dash lights just like it did from the factory.

I did add an automatic power antenna behind the driver by the trunk. The radio automatically raises and lowers it without any switches. When down, it looks like a little chrome button. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Jimz Bird
              Experienced
              • Feb 3 2011

Dad gum it Dave!

I may have to put that on the "list".

That does sound like a workable combination.
              Jim
              Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• FINSRIN
                Experienced
                • Aug 7 2010

That T&C conversion sounds like a good deal.
                I have a good T&C and a parts T&C to fit the 59 Galaxie.
                Has regular AM pushbutton in it now.
                Galaxie is a project for 2013. Have enough (to much) going on this year. Might send radio(s) to Gary to have it ready for next year.
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎