Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bird-in-the-bush
    • Feb 26 2017

Header project 352

Hello all. It's been a while since my last project. I've been working on the birds airbag suspension all fall and in to the winter. Finally got it down...literally. It took some mild fabrication and shock mount relocating, but it's all done. Triangulated 4 link, panhard bar, and lower control arm tweaking.
    My next project over the rest of the winter envolves a header fitment to the bird. I contemplated a complete from header flange build...but now I'm thinking that there must be an FE header out there that "almost fits"...maybe one that i could cut and move a tube or 2. If anyone has come close with a header or certain "shorty header" "header kit"...please let me know. Maybe a Galaxy or truck header comes close...idk...Thank you.
    A Family that Hot Rods together, stays together...
  • gregz
    Experienced
    • Aug 9 2015

Header project

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted also but am always looking. I would be interested to see some pics of your 4 link install if you would be willing to show them. Also how you set up front air bags. As far as headers I have heard that FPA has headers that supposedly will fit our birds. I should be finding out probably later this year as I am having a friend of mine put together a 445 stroker for my 59 Bird.

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Bird-in-the-bush
      Triangulated 4 link, panhard bar, and lower control arm tweaking.
      I'm curious, if you are running a triangulated 4 link, why the panhard bar?

Comment

• Bird-in-the-bush
        • Feb 26 2017

Originally posted by RustyNCa
        I'm curious, if you are running a triangulated 4 link, why the panhard bar?
        Why not? The more stability the better. Actually i opted to go with a parallel 4 link and decided to change my mind in the process.
        But...in my experience in dealing and installing triangulated 4 links, you still get some side to side sway and movement. The panhard eliminates all movement. But yes you would be correct in asking "why"
        Ill get some pictures posted as soon as i can.
        Didn't think the airbag suspension and 4 link would raise any eyebrows, so i didn't record to much of the work.
        As for FPA headers...i can't see dropping that kind of money on a set of headers from someone who basically has a monopoly on the design. I mean seriously, they're just a shorty style block hugger header. No need for that price tag.
        I believe I can design a decent flowing manifold/Header using flanges and some header tubes that will fit, but wow, is that passenger side close. Then the issue of steering on the driver side.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

I was just inquisitive, I'm running a bagged four link in my 29 coupe, but I'd never be able to tell if there was any lateral movement in it. The bais ply tires probably induce more lateral movement than I think I'd ever feel in the rear end...

I know there is at least one other squarebird out there running a bagged four link, but I was never able to find photos of their fabwork on it. So yes, the idea is very intriguing to me. I'd be happy to check out photos of your bird, how she sits, etc. Sounds very cool to me.

Do you run an anti roll bar on it as well?

And I agree with you about the FPA headers, they are very spendy for what they are.

I've had thoughts of changing out to a rack in the front and see if that would let me have room to run some modified headers for less money than the FPAs?

Originally posted by Bird-in-the-bush
          Why not? The more stability the better. Actually i opted to go with a parallel 4 link and decided to change my mind in the process.
          But...in my experience in dealing and installing triangulated 4 links, you still get some side to side sway and movement. The panhard eliminates all movement. But yes you would be correct in asking "why"
          Ill get some pictures posted as soon as i can.
          Didn't think the airbag suspension and 4 link would raise any eyebrows, so i didn't record to much of the work.
          As for FPA headers...i can't see dropping that kind of money on a set of headers from someone who basically has a monopoly on the design. I mean seriously, they're just a shorty style block hugger header. No need for that price tag.
          I believe I can design a decent flowing manifold/Header using flanges and some header tubes that will fit, but wow, is that passenger side close. Then the issue of steering on the driver side.

Comment

• Bird-in-the-bush
            • Feb 26 2017

Trying to post pictures, but no luck lol

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Header project 352

Audie, I suggest you re-read the Welcome to Squarebirds post that John ~ jopizz posted to you when you joined the Forum last year. The information on how to post pix here, the size limitations, etc. are all in that post. You can post them on any free photo hosting website, send them to John, I, or Dave ~ simplyconnected, and we can post them for you. Or you can become a Paid Member and post them directly onto our Server. To donate to the Forum, go to the Donate to Site button in the upper right corner and do so through PayPal. It is $20 per year, and the funds go to help pay for server costs and keep us going. The payment will be to Lincolns Of Distinction (LOD) because we share the server with their Forum. But John Peters ~ driller to us here, will know that you are a Squarebirds member and not a LOD one...

Here is the link to the Welcome that John posted to you last year. I see you read it last year. If you still cannot post pix, please give me a call at 210-875-1411.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Bird-in-the-bush
                • Feb 26 2017

Ya i guess that would help if i renew my membership lol! Thanks for the input.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Header project 352

Audie, somehow I missed that you were already a Paid Member when I posted that. Your paid membership is not up until next month. So you should certainly be able to post directly to the server. If you can't or need a refresher course on how to do it, call me and I can quickly walk you through it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎