X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

Need picture of self adjusters installed on drum brakes

I’m getting ready to overhaul the rear drum brakes on my ’60. I’m going to retrofit self adjusters and was hoping that someone had a picture of the self adjusters already installed on their squarebird. I have an idea of how everything works and how it goes together, but having a picture is always helpful.

One thing I’m not sure about is if I need to modify the hole on the backing plate for the new star wheel adjuster.

VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I know you want a real picture, but let's start with the Ford Manuals...
    Your parts include:
    Star Wheel, ends, and washer - 2041, 2047, 2048, and 372583-S (respectively)
    Ratchet Lever - 2A176 (or 2A177)
    Cable - 2A178
    Cable Guide (I call it a shoe) - 2A179
    Rubber Access Hole Plug - 2092

Sometimes real pictures hide features you need to see but a blow-up works to clarify the correct order of assembly. - Dave
    Attached Files
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here is a pic of my right rear side with self adjuster installed.
      Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
        Experienced
        • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
        Here is a pic of my right rear side with self adjuster installed.
        Ray, you are awesome! This is exactly what I need! Could you please email me the full size image so I can get a closer look?
        VTCI# 11860

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need picture of self adjusters

I think that was a big a picture of I have. Let me finish processing this new members membership and I will get into my pix for my Tbird and see if I can find a larger picture. If I can, I will email it to you. I will get back with you.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
            Experienced
            • Feb 6 2012

Thanks so much, Ray! I'm going to tackle doing the rear drums this weekend and this picture will take the guess work out of figuring out where the brake adjuster parts go and how they install.

Before Lucille, I've never even done a brake job before, so I'm learning as I go.

I'm a visual learner so this picture along with Dave's illustration is a big help.

Thank you both!
            VTCI# 11860

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Marcelo, I found the left rear pic also, so now I have left and right. However, they are both the same size as the right side I posted. But what I did was take them into a photo editor and upsized them to 640x480 and 800x600. I will send you both small ones, and then the two larger pictures. Although they are diffused a bit, I think you can still tell exactly how they hook up and are installed. So I will email them to you now.
              Last edited by YellowRose; September 19, 2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                Experienced
                • Feb 6 2012

Hey Ray, just curious, why did you pull your axles? Did you replace your bearings?
                VTCI# 11860

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If I remember right the star wheel doesn't line up with the adjustment hole on one of the sides. I think it's the driver's side.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I did replace the seals, but I don't remember if we had to replace the bearings. I think they were okay.
                    Last edited by YellowRose; September 19, 2012, 05:51 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 6 2012

The blue spring on the bottom of Ray's picture. One side connects to the shoe and the other to the brake adjuster. Did the other side originally connect to the other shoe? I only ask because that spring looks kind of long and wasn't sure if I needed to use a different spring for the self adjusters.
                      Attached Files
                      VTCI# 11860

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58

The blue spring on the bottom of Ray's picture. One side connects to the shoe and the other to the brake adjuster. Did the other side originally connect to the other shoe? I only ask because that spring looks kind of long and wasn't sure if I needed to use a different spring for the self adjusters.
                        It seems the kits you got do not have the retracting springs included. You need to source those kits also. The spring in question is especially for the self adjust feature.

Be aware that the adjusters (and levers) have a L and R application. They should be marked under the star wheel pivot.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

...also note that the primary shoe is the short lining. It mounts towards the front of the car. The secondary shoe does most of the work and usually has a longer lining. Mount the secondary towards the rear of the car.

Sometimes the primary and secondary linings are the same length because the composition of the lining will be different, with a softer primary and a harder secondary. Either they are marked on the side of the lining (PRI or SEC) or they are different lengths. Different composite linings are usually different colors (gray and much darker). - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                            It seems the kits you got do not have the retracting springs included. You need to source those kits also. The spring in question is especially for the self adjust feature.

Be aware that the adjusters (and levers) have a L and R application. They should be marked under the star wheel pivot.
                            Is this something that can be sourced at an outoparts store or will I have better luck ordering online?

Do they sell just that spring or do I need to get the whole spring kit for the rear drums and if so, for what year, make and model should I get it for?

Maybe Ray has part numbers for the spring kits he used on Yellowrose?

I need to try and source this for the weekend. I'm running out of weekends before it starts getting too cold around here to work outside.
                            VTCI# 11860

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Marcelo,

Unfortunately, I do not have that information. The packaging that the kits came was was discarded after putting them on.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎