• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newyear
    Experienced
    • Jan 4 2005

Fuel pump removal-FE352 engine with P/S and A/C

Hi
    Would like some guidance on the above please.It looks like it would be advantageous to remove/displace the power steering pump and possibly also the lower radiator hose and the A/C compressor to gain decent access to the fuel pump bolts.The A/C system is not charged.I'm asking my local garage to tackle this as the job spooks me somewhat...the brakes need adjusting also!
    Many thanks
    Peter
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

Hi Peter
    I did this very job last Saturday. The front bolt is not too hard to get to but you need patience as you only get a couple of ratchet clicks of movement on the socket. The rear bolt is a bit of a bugger and has to be found using Braille..! Once I had both bolts out I found that I couldn’t pull the pump out far enough for the arm to clear the opening in the block. Two cups of tea later and I found the easiest solution was to unbolt the oil filter adapter from the block and drop it out of the way. The pump then comes out quite easily. It does help having the car on a 2 post lift as everything has to be done from below.

Jon
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would definitely remove the compressor and bracket. You don't need to do anything with the lower radiator hose. Unbolt the power steering pump bracket and move it slightly out of the way. If you have difficulty getting the fuel pump in or out due to the arm being at the wrong angle turn the crank slightly by hand. That will change the location of the camshaft eccentric and the pump arm should go in straight.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Here's a picture of the camshaft eccentric which may help to clarify John's statement. With the low point of the eccentric on the bottom, it definitely makes the pump go in easier.
        Nyles
        Attached Files

Comment

• newyear
          Experienced
          • Jan 4 2005

Thank you Jon,John and Nyles

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢