X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The "Junior" Ford Thunderbirds

For a good number of years, a company made "Junior" Ford Tbirds, and models of other manufacturers cars that ran using gasoline or 6/12V batteries. For Ford they were made for various Ford Motor Co. promotions and others. The Powercar company of Mystic, Connecticut started making the Thunderbird JR in 1955 and continunued through 1967. They were 1/3 and 1/4 size cars. Here are some pictures of them. A '58, '59 & '60. Then a '61 to represent the Bulletbirds (they made the 62's & '63's also). Then a '65 to represent the Flairbirds (they made the '64's & 66's also). The company has long been out of business, but here is some information on where you might be able to get one... Check these web pages out.

This page contains parts resources, including molds and bumpers for these cars. He has the '58-'60 Squarebird body mold! And bumpers. These "Junior" promotion cars are still out there, waiting to be found... There is a lot more on his web pages to look at, including pricing for molds, and parts. BTW, the girl in the 1959 car is the daughter of Lee Iococca! There is even a price sheet showing what was in the cars and the cost of them back then. Here are the pix. Enjoy!
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

This pic is hillarious!
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The "Junior" Ford Thunderbirds

Hi Anders,

I thought it was pretty funny also, so I used it! Here are some video clips, as I find them, showing Shriners using these motorized promotional "Junior" cars in a parade. They dont seem to be Tbirds though.

Now these fellows are really hammin it up! The Tulsa Shriners really gave the Kids a show with all their funny cars and bikes..!

No parade is complete without Shriners. They have the best toys ever! A video I took July 2, 2006 at the annual Madison, IN Regatta Parade.

1966 Ford Thunderbird JR made by the powercar Company of Mystic CT. These were made by The Power car with the cooperation of the Ford Motor Company FoMoCo to...

These are some images of the 1958 Desoto Firemite I have gathered over the years. they were a factory sponsored gas powered promotional car used by dealers t...

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

The Shriners and their go carts in the 2007 Woodstock GA Fourth of July parade

Some these might be Tbirds!

Cheshire Memorial Day Parade 2007Shriners Mini Cars put on a good show
      Last edited by YellowRose; June 10, 2009, 03:09 AM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
        This pic is hillarious!
        Now that's a Flairbird rag-top I COULD afford!!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
          Experienced
          • May 4 2009

all i want is one of the bare molds like in the pic above it would look super next to my 65 mustang pedal car body
          57 ford sedan
          60 thunderbird registry number 33404
          69 mustang coupe
          69 roadrunner

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I'm On The Hunt!!....

Sniff, Sniff, Sniff! I go digging through websites, searching, searching, tongue hanging out in near exhaustion! Suddenly, I get a whiff of a "Junior" Ford Thunderbird promotional car. It (or I should say, they!) are in California! I get a lead through Tom Maruska's story about the Italien! It gives me a name and location... Sniff, Sniff, Sniff.. POINT!! I have it! I pick up the phone and call Mustang Country, looking for Don Chambers, who Tom bought the Italien from. In Chapter 13, he tells about the many "Junior" promotional cars that Don had collected over the years. Some 30+ of them!

So I call them, only to find out that Don had passed away in 2006, but that his wife, Ailene, still has some of the cars left. She has been selling them as she can find buyers for them. I am given her phone number, which I call, and enjoy a good conversation with her. She has about a dozen or so "Juniors" left, in various conditions. She has some with just the body shells, 1958-1966. Body shells go from $500 to $2,000. She has some that are pretty complete, that go from around $1,000 up. I think she has a '58, '59, '60, '61, '65 and a '66. Plus she has one or more Mustangs, and other brands of cars left still. She is about to do some advertising in Hemmings about them... So if you are interested, you should be beating on her door before that article is published..

She told me that she will send me some pictures of them to show you what she has left. I will post what she sends me when I get them. She also gave me permission to post her telephone numbers here in case you want to call her. She said that you can probably best get her on her cell phone. It is:
            562-716-9599. Her regular phone is: 562-633-7672

Remember that there are still parts for these cars available. Here is that resource link again..

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

Any chance of consolidating this infomation into the "Junior" section found on the Home Page. Under Sqbird Model, there is a sub-folder for Sqbird Junior that must have been set up by Alexander.

If updates can be made to the Home Page folders, I could contribute many pictures of HO scale slot cars. Aurora offered a 1960 Thunderbird in their first group of cars that were run from an AC transformer, these were called 'Vibrators'. The next generation of cars were DC and included a 63 sports roadster, this series were called the 'Thunderjets'.

Guessing that'll bring back some memories for our members.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GTE427; June 10, 2009, 02:53 PM.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by YellowRose
                Sniff, Sniff, Sniff! I go digging through websites, searching, searching, tongue hanging out in near exhaustion! Suddenly, I get a whiff of a "Junior" Ford Thunderbird promotional car. It (or I should say, they!) are in California! I get a lead through Tom Maruska's story about the Italien! It gives me a name and location... Sniff, Sniff, Sniff.. POINT!! I have it! I pick up the phone and call Mustang Country, looking for Don Chambers, who Tom bought the Italien from. In Chapter 13, he tells about the many "Junior" promotional cars that Don had collected over the years. Some 30+ of them!

So I call them, only to find out that Don had passed away in 2006, but that his wife, Ailene, still has some of the cars left. She has been selling them as she can find buyers for them. I am given her phone number, which I call, and enjoy a good conversation with her. She has about a dozen or so "Juniors" left, in various conditions. She has some with just the body shells, 1958-1966. Body shells go from $500 to $2,000. She has some that are pretty complete, that go from around $1,000 up. I think she has a '58, '59, '60, '61, '65 and a '66. Plus she has one or more Mustangs, and other brands of cars left still. She is about to do some advertising in Hemmings about them... So if you are interested, you should be beating on her door before that article is published..

She told me that she will send me some pictures of them to show you what she has left. I will post what she sends me when I get them. She also gave me permission to post her telephone numbers here in case you want to call her. She said that you can probably best get her on her cell phone. It is:
                562-716-9599. Her regular phone is: 562-633-7672

Remember that there are still parts for these cars available. Here is that resource link again..

http://www.jrcentral.com/resources.html
                I´m stunned.

Again.

And I want one...... How the heck do I get one ´58 to Sweden without going bankrupt for the shipping......
                Last edited by YellowRose; June 10, 2009, 03:09 PM.
                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Some Bloodhound I am!

I did not even know that link was there on the Home Page regarding the "Junior" cars! Alexander did though! lol.. It is under the Toys & Models page. Click on it. Also the link to the guy who has the molds and parts for them is there! As far as consolidating this thread under that Button, that would be up to skyd.

http://www.squarebirds.org/thunderbird_junior.htm

I just got some pix from Ailine, with more to come of the '65, I hope. Here is what she said.

"Here are the pictures and the correct prices. I do not have any pic's of the 1965 TBird but I will try to get them to you later.

The 1961 Body is $1000. The 1959's are $2500. each. One is a smaller version but is made by Power car company as well. The 1965 is $2,000. Thanks, Ailene"

As I said in a previous post, if you are just looking for the mold, you can get them a lot cheaper, IF he has that model, for the guy who sells parts for them. The URL is on that post.

Here are the pix she sent.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; June 10, 2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: Additional Picture and Comments

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                    Experienced
                    • May 4 2009

heck , i only gave 800.00 for rosie with extra parts ...... thats alittle rich for this poor boy
                    57 ford sedan
                    60 thunderbird registry number 33404
                    69 mustang coupe
                    69 roadrunner

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 5 2007

Here are more pictures of the 58-60 body from the original molds. That show the detail they put into these little cars

I see someone in this thread was talking about their Mustnag pedal car so here is a couple mustang JR body shots in this thread.
                      Last edited by roadkillontheweb; June 10, 2009, 09:26 PM. Reason: brain fart

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 5 2007

I just got in a bunch of shots of a 1960 1/4 scale that I will post on my forums then share a link here. The body mold I have is for the larger 1/3rd scale.
                        Last edited by roadkillontheweb; June 10, 2009, 09:26 PM. Reason: Brain fart

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                          Apprentice
                          • Oct 5 2007

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
                          I´m stunned.

Again.

And I want one...... How the heck do I get one ´58 to Sweden without going bankrupt for the shipping......
                          There are guys shipping cars to Sweden all of the time. Find someone that is loading a container here in the states and I will ship the body to the greyhound bus depot by were they are loading the container for under $100.US. Just have them put it in the container that way.

I have sent a couple to Australia that way as well as the UK and Norway. Now if your really want to spend the cash I had a guy from Iceland have one flown over. But shipping these is not as bad as you think.

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                            Apprentice
                            • Oct 5 2007

Here are the pictures of the 1/4 scale 1960 (like the red one in the postcard) http://jrcentral.com/forum/general/i...ames;read=1386

The legroom in the 1/4 scale is nowhere near that of the 1/3 scale where your feet and the pedals are clear out behind the grille. These are pretty much for kids!

Comment

• roadkillontheweb
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 5 2007

Here is a Youtube video that you guys should enjoy? It also shows why so many of these cars did not survive till today.
                              Here is the link where this clip was used on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno: http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/bieber-ticket-7-9-12/1408952NOBODY was...

Whole bunch of Junior car videos here!

And even more here!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎