• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sherman
    Experienced
    • Aug 22 2009

Rear Wheel Bearing Seal

Hello,
    How far should a rear axle shaft seal be hammered into the axle shaft tube?

Should there be a gasket between the axle shaft tube and the brake backing plate?

Thanks,
    Sorry to be brief, I had a very long explanation typed before I had computer issues.
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

they go in until they are seated. It should be very obvious that it
    s where it should be. If not, you may have the wrong seal.
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Jim is right, Sherman. The seal goes in quite a ways because the axle bearing is on the outboard side of it, then the flange and gasket cover the end.. Here's a picture of your setup:

1180 is called, RETAINER - REAR WHEEL BEARING - INNER, and I believe it mates with the seal (1177).

It's strange to see "CHINA" on your address because most folks don't know that East China Township is right next to Port Huron (where Thomas Edison was born and grew up). You can spit and hit Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, right across the St. Mary's River. I love that area.

My first German Shorthaired Pointer came from East China Twp., so I named her, China. God, I miss that dog. She turned lamps on and off, opened doors from the inside of rooms, loved water, fetching and was loyal as the day is long. She was the smartest dog I ever had. BTW, I LOVE your High School football stadium. We used to play Marine City Mariner's there. Every time Marine City got a Touchdown they'd BLAST OFF that canon.
      - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Sherman

How far should a rear axle shaft seal be hammered into the axle shaft tube?

...hammered...?

An axle shaft should slide into the housing once the stub end is aligned with the differential side gear...

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

He's asking about the seal, Gary.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

yep , its pretty far recessed since it is behind the wheel bearing. and its purpose is to to protect the bearing from the gear oil which will be up in the axle housing.
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

He's asking about the seal, Gary.

I am having trouble understanding key words...

It goes to the stop.

Comment

• Sherman
                Experienced
                • Aug 22 2009

Thank you all for your responses. To conclude the wheel bearing seal will need to be hammered in all the way in until it seats. Second, there will be a gasket between the axle shaft tube and the inboard side of the brake backing plate.(?)

Will I also need a gasket between the outboard side of the brake backing plate and the axle "mounting bracket?"

Thank again,

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Sherman

Thank you all for your responses.

To conclude the wheel bearing seal will need to be hammered in all the way in until it seats.
                  Yes.

Second, there will be a gasket between the axle shaft tube and the inboard side of the brake backing plate.(?)

Will I also need a gasket between the outboard side of the brake backing plate and the axle "mounting bracket?"

Thank again,
                  There is (was) a gasket between the axle housing flange and the brake backing plate and between the brake backing plate and the outer bearing retainer. FEL-Pro should have both.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎