Continental Kit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continental Kit

Hi Guys

I've seen a few Squarebirds with a continental kit. Does anyone have experience with them? Do they affect the handling of the car? They do seem to make the car quite a bit longer. Also, how easy it is to remove the spare tyre?

Cheers

Mark
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

I put one one my 430 convertible and added air shocks to rise the back up because it would hit when I backed out of my driveway,as for handling it don't seem to make any difference to me. I have yet to have to remove the tire ,but I soon will to put re chrome upper bumpers on it I find it little hard to put gas in it.Here is a link to some pictures of it.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

That's a nice looking bird! Does the continental kit have a different bumper or does it bolt on the a standard bumper?

Comment

• tp tbird
        Experienced
        • Dec 17 2007

It fits the standard bumper ,but the little bumpertts have to be cut back and drill four holes for mounting the added bumper.

Comment

• rannugno
          Apprentice
          • Aug 22 2011

Hi,

My squarebird got a continental kit.
          First I will say that a modern radial tire will not fit in the kit, it's not space enough. You probably have to use a wheel that you can't use as a spare wheel and you will still have to have a spare wheel in your trunk. So the only reason to mount a continental kit is that you like the look.
          And DO NOT CUT THE SMALL BUMPERS. The previous owner of my car unfortunately did so. It's better to make holes in the tire so the bumpers goes into it. This will look nicer, and if you on a later stage want to remove the continental kit the bumpers are still intact.
          Third, yes you need a lot of time when filling gas.... but someone will always comment your car and you will have a bit more time to talk...
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          Gunnar S - 58 Thunderbird
          http://squarebirds.org/users/gunnar/...bird/index.htm
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5569

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡