Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murdoc rose
    • Apr 6 2013

Wiring kit suggestions

Whats the best kit for all new wiring on a 58?

Originally posted by murdoc rose
    Whats the best kit for all new wiring on a 58?
    Not sure if you are looking for a drop in replacement or an aftermarket fused harness.
    I just installed a 12 Circuit EZ Wiring Harness. There are lots of them out there, with prices all over the place. Painless is also a good harness, but a little more pricey. A drop in replacement will run you around $500.00 as where a aftermarket universal will go between $125.00-$250.00. If you go with a universal harness, just make sure you get enough circuits to cover all your needs or future needs.

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

Reproduction wiring is available for your 58, new materials with original style connectors to replace your old cracked, frayed or butchered wiring. Available as: Guage feed harness, headlight harness, under dash harness and body harness. Also Power window and seat harnesses.
      Carl

Comment

• Restifier52
        Experienced
        • Jul 26 2011

A nice thing about aftermarket harnesses is the labeling of the entire length of the wires. I have an E-Z harness and it works great for me. I don't have power windows or air or power seats etc. so I have a handful of unused circuits.
        1960 HT
        Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• frank58
          Super-Experienced
          • May 28 2006

top quality....but.... top prices

Wiring Harnesses for Classic Car Automobile Restorations. Buy parts and accessories for Lincoln Continental, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler and more.Complete restorations. Contact Narragansett Reproductions today.

Comment

Originally posted by frank58
            top quality....but.... top prices

Wiring Harnesses for Classic Car Automobile Restorations. Buy parts and accessories for Lincoln Continental, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler and more.Complete restorations. Contact Narragansett Reproductions today.

This is why universal harnesses look so attractive

Comment

• murdoc rose
              • Apr 6 2013

Thanks guys i need to make my decisions and just order it. Id much rater pay more and have it go in easy and correct.

Comment

• Nicolas
                Apprentice
                • Apr 22 2014

I strongly recommend RON FRANCIS wiring harness.
                Great product, very good quality, easy installation. Pricy but good quality.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Back in the day we had a wonderful wire harness company in Detroit, Essex Wire. They made harnesses for all the big three. You can imagine, all the different color schemes in each wire size had on hand; millions of feet of correct wire to make specific harnesses and no substitutions are allowed. This overhead is too expensive for little companies to supply or compete.

I have no love for any particular harness company but I deeply respect a company who can deliver correct harnesses to the OEM diagram with correct terminals on the ends and correct SAE wire for each circuit.

I have made hundreds of wiring harnesses, mostly using the same color wire with number tags on the ends of each conductor. That's how machine tool wiring is done.

For your car, emphasis is not only on the color of the wire but the type of copper, number of strands, heat, voltage & temperature rating of the insulation and its resistance to vibration and automotive chemicals. So, to achieve a good quality harness entails much more than simply using any old stranded copper wire.

Equally important is proper fusing to protect the wire, or the wire becomes the fuse. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Nicolas
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 22 2014

I have installed EZ Wiring, Painless and Ron Francis.

I would definitely recommend the Ron Francis.

Great product, easy to install and you can call them if you're stucked !!!

My 2 cent

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎