X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jldevlin
    Apprentice
    • Apr 11 2009

Hood Won't Release

Uh boy..I done it now...grin, before you think its a standard cable broke one please read on....I removed the hood latches to clean and paint, upon reassembly I tested them and locked down the drivers side with a screw driver and pulled the release cable..all worked well but the actuating lever felt a bit stiff so I loosened off the bottom bolts and re tightened so the lever moves freely, I shut the hood and here is the oh no...the lever moves but it does not open the latch no matter how hard I pull...I think it is out of adjustment and missing the lever it triggers to open, other than cutting a hole in my wheel well to unbolt the latch is there anything else I can do, I have been pushing on the actuater with a screw driver through the emergency hole in the wheel well but no luck, the passenger side is not locked so i can see the mechanism but of course can't reach it
    Last edited by jldevlin; December 7, 2009, 03:31 PM.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Have someone pull the cable release and try slapping the hood with the palm of your hand. Sharp blows right above the latch should dislodge the mechanism, and allow the return spring to pop the hood.

I think the hood part is scraping the sides of the bottom. So, it may be that the latch is unclasping, but the mating parts are just hung on each other by friction. It's worth a try.

Here are some diagrams of your hood latches. Which lever do you think is missing? (They are numbered) - Dave

Last edited by simplyconnected; December 7, 2009, 04:50 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• saverio
      Experienced
      • Mar 14 2005

try this

I don't know if this will work for you,but it worked for me with the same sounding problem.
      take the heel of your hand,and strike the hood in the corner just about where the latch is located,do this firmly once or twice. if you get lucky the hood will pop up and then you can manually release the lever hook.

good luck,

Sal
      Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

• jldevlin
        Apprentice
        • Apr 11 2009

Thank you for the responses

I will have the wife pull the cable and I will jolt the latch, looking at the diagrams I think what has happened is the piece #16704 was installed too low, causing the lever at #16877 not being able to make contact with the lever just above #26498 - S in the drawings, this would mean the lever moves but does not strike the release lever...I could be wrong hopefully but I am trying both suggestions tonight....

Comment

Hey John,
          There are rubber knock outs in the upper fender well behind the wheel. Take long screwdriver and push them out. Then take screwdriver and push at the bottom of locking mechanism. I will see if I can find picture!
          Richard D. Hord

Pictures courtesy of Ray (Yellow Rose)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; December 7, 2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• jldevlin
            Apprentice
            • Apr 11 2009

Hi Richard

This is the sad part, I did remove the plug and have been able to push in with a screw driver and hit the lever, it moves all the way in but nothing happens...I do not think the actuator is strijing the release lever...but it could be jammed, I thank you for the pics though, it will give me perspective on what I am doing and how far, I might try to reach in with a long thin screw driver and see if I can fluke a hit on the release mechanism....I do not want to cut and weld the inner wheel well....so i will be trying long and hard....I have it parked for the winter so not rush, i am getting a body shop to paint the car and if I must I can get them to do the body repair

Comment

Hey John,
              Have someone push down on hood and hold pressure on it while you push trip lever! Do one side at a time!!!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jldevlin
                Apprentice
                • Apr 11 2009

Thank You Richard

I will try that also .... Very few squarebirds up here, if we had a shop specializing in the older cars I would bring it in but alas north of the border these things are very hard to find

Comment

Hey John,
                  That maybe good for you that there are very few Squarebirds there. That would mean she's worth more!!!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jldevlin
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 11 2009

True but

I paid a lot too!!!!!!!!! , man I look at prices around the mid west and I just wish...I would buy one off Ebay ...almost did ...but too hard to get down to inspect it to ensure there is even a car...then to transport home...sigh...but I love my bird, red and wite inside and out....have slowly got everything working again...all cleaned up and running nice....then boom...cleaning up under the hood and I knew it when I shut the hood...shoulder sag and oh no...heeheheh but I will get it fixed somehow

Comment

Hey John,
                      Yea I bought Christine off Ebay $7500.00. I called the seller and asked him if he would drive her 400 miles. He replied I don't think so I have drove her 40 miles. I told him, I'm driving her home! We were heading down the interstate running about 75 mph and I could see a little smoke in rearview. My wife was in front of me with tools, I called and told her to stop at next exit with a gas station. We pulled in I popped hood and power steering hose had came loose. I pushed hose back on and tightened the clamp, added power steering fluid and brought her to the house. That was the only problem we had. All in all she's a pretty good old car and I love her!!!
                      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jldevlin
                        Apprentice
                        • Apr 11 2009

Squarebird in Canada

One last thing also, my bird was involved in a marriage break up apparently and the wife scratched the inside of the windshield in front of the drivers face with her diamond ring...now try to get someone replace it up here, I have asked many glass companys and they just look at me and say they can't help

Comment

Hey John,
                          On the windshield, there is compound you can use to buff that out. I seen it on Trucks, but don't remember the name of the compound. So of the other Squarebird members may be able to help. If you find out what it is you should be able to do it yourself. On Trucks, he buffed out two wiper cuts in windshield. It looked pretty nice when he got done!
                          Eastwood may have the compound!
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jldevlin
                            Apprentice
                            • Apr 11 2009

Windshield repair

Now that wuld be nice to have, even to smooth out some of them

Comment

Hey John,
                              Go to Google and type in Eastwood. In there search bar type in glass. There you will find the products I was talking about!
                              Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎