X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

61 heads on a 1960 352

My 1960 352 has C1AE heads on it. I knew the heads had been rebuilt around 1990. Why would they replace with 61 heads? What difference would it make if any?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There would be no reason to replace them unless the original heads were damaged where they were past the point of rebuilding. There's really no difference between the '60 and '61 352 heads. Was your car built late in the year. I guess it's possible Ford could have used heads from the '61 model year.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I would go further to say Ford DID use parts numbered for '61 on the later 1960 model cars.

This is the intake on my 60.

It's a 25H car (approx Aug 25 1960) and the car was purchased new by my Dad.

Do you know when your car was built or have the VIN number? May be in the same range as mine.

My heads are COAE 8090

Eric

Comment

• toddgilroy
        Experienced
        • Aug 30 2014

Some additional info...the intake on my 60 has the same C1AE9425B, but the other code is 0F20.

My heads have the same stampings as Eric's, too.

My ROT sheet had been exposed to too much moisture so the ink is gone, but my VIN # is 0Y73Y176717.

My challenge is I have no history on the car.
        Todd Gilroy
        1960 Tbird Convertible
        Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Hazegray53
          Apprentice
          • Jan 9 2015

It's a 23A. And the intake is actually C0AE.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If your build date is 23A (January 23) it's unlikely that the heads would have a '61 part number. Somehow they got replaced over the years.

John

Comment

• bird 60
              Super-Experienced
              • Mar 18 2009

Hi Todd, seeing that your Vin # is 76717 your car came out of the assembly much later as 90843 was the last of the Squarebirds.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by DKheld
                ...My heads are COAE 8090

No, no, Eric. These are C0AE 6090-C heads. Remember, there is a difference between casting codes and Ford's parts codes.

Your heads are well known and covered here:
                http://mustangtek.com/heads/Heads.html

And, the only way foundries could track when a part was made was by casting the date and shift into the part. You see a casting number; that was in the sand core, but the shift and date look like they have screw heads on either side; that was changed each shift and put into the core box.

Your sheet metal parts also have a stamp (that nobody talks about), showing the plant code (D for Dearborn, B for Buffalo, C for Chicago, etc.) and the shift and date. Ford shifts start at midnight, so day shift is #2. You may see 'D2 6 24' in an inconspicuous place on stampings. D3 6 24 would be the afternoon shift. These are genuine Ford stampings. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Yep COAE 6090 - C
                  Only other markings outside the valve cover were DIF and 22
                  Guess the date and time are under the valve cover.
                  may have a chance to look for that next time.

Comment

• toddgilroy
                    Experienced
                    • Aug 30 2014

Resurrecting this from earlier in the year as I contemplate rebuilding my 352 vs. buying a 390 to rebuild. I am trying to keep it as original as possible, with some safety upgrades like disc brakes and a rear sway bar.

Based on some research and other posts, I had resigned myself to the indication my intake manifold was not original, and therefore the engine would never be considered original.

However, after a little cleaning, I took pictures of all the casting numbers/date codes on my engine.

Cylinder block - B9AE 6015 0F23 (June 23, 1960)
                    Cylinder heads - C0AE 6090C 0F17 (June 17, 1960)
                    Intake manifold - C1AE 9425B 0F20 (June 20, 1960)

And the date on the data plate is 25G or July 25, 1960.

I just seems really odd that all of the casting dates are within 1 week of each other, and all about one month before assembly date, and all very similar to Eric's, whose car was assembled one month later.

Considering our cars were assembled later in the model year and the fact the 60 TBird was breaking sales records, isn't it reasonable to think Ford had to start using castings made for the 61 models?

If my engine will never be considered original because of the intake casting number, my decision just got easier.

Thoughts?
                    Attached Files
                    Todd Gilroy
                    1960 Tbird Convertible
                    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm guessing that your intake is original. I've seen people swap intakes to get some sort of performance upgrade or to go from a four to two barrel carburetor to save gas. However it would make no sense to swap a '60 intake for a '61 intake when they are identical. It's not like you are ever going to break one and need to replace it.

John

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎