Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1961 To 1963 Bulletbirds, Rocketbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   9" Brake booster (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21971)

ramos291 09-15-2017 04:54 PM

9" Brake booster

If you were to put on a salvaged car's brake booster what car would work on 61 thunderbird? I am using a 7" booster when I converted to disc front. That 7" booster is not doing the job. Thought would try a 9".

OX1 09-15-2017 07:12 PM

I fit a 9" from a 79 f350, but it was a nightmare to fit. Search on my name for the thread and pics

stubbie 09-30-2017 09:53 PM

I think you need at least an 8" booster for disk brakes. 7'' wouldn't have enough pressure. Maybe ring one of the brake company's to see if they can help like MBM brakes. Or look at 66 Tbird booster.

YellowRose 09-30-2017 10:53 PM

9" Brake booster

I think you want to go with an 8" booster instead of a 9"... You might have difficulty shutting your hood with a 9" one. All of us who have done dual mc/power booster upgrades have used the 8" booster, as recommended by Dave ~ simplyconnected....

booalou 02-09-2018 01:47 PM

disc brake conversion using stock mechanism

Has anyone done the disc brake conversion using the stock mechanism with the 7 or 8" hotrod booster? If so did you cut the booster rod and add a heim bolt? How much did you cut off the bolt?

simplyconnected 02-09-2018 03:22 PM

IMPORTANT: You need at least a DUAL DIAPHRAGM 8" booster for power disk brakes. Here is a picture and a link.

http://piratejack.net/universal-8-dual-diaphragm-booster/

Notice, the 'step' on the RH side is for one of the diaphragms. A dual-diaphragm booster nearly doubles the boost of a single diaphragm booster.
Do not get a single & dual diaphragm booster confused. They are a lot different. This booster's major diameter (10") is the same as the OEM Squarebird boosters from 1960 but it delivers a whole lot more boost.

I'm using these in two heavy Fordoor cars and I love them both.

booalou, YES! If your Squarebird came with a booster under the hood you can cut the rivets off and mount this new booster to it. Many of our conversions used the existing firewall bracket.
All hardware from the OEM bracket to the pedal remains stock. - Dave

ramos291 07-09-2018 08:06 AM

Back to this disc brake conversion kit trouble child

I am NOT having any good luck with this conversion. I'm afraid to drive my 61. Brakes seem more manual, not stopping well at all if I needed to panic stop. I'm not sure it's worth the switch. I may have to switch back to drum drum if I can't get it to work. After mounting booster to original bracket it's hit the shock tower brace. Still not locking brakes when using all my force on the peddle. Yes I've bleed the line and master more times then I can remember. Any one in Indiana with the fix here that can help me here?

ramos291 07-09-2018 08:10 AM

Delayed response

Will this booster fit in the area without hitting shock tower brace?
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 113467)
IMPORTANT: You need at least a DUAL DIAPHRAGM 8" booster for power disk brakes. Here is a picture and a link.

http://piratejack.net/universal-8-dual-diaphragm-booster/

Notice, the 'step' on the RH side is for one of the diaphragms. A dual-diaphragm booster nearly doubles the boost of a single diaphragm booster.
Do not get a single & dual diaphragm booster confused. They are a lot different. This booster's major diameter (10") is the same as the OEM Squarebird boosters from 1960 but it delivers a whole lot more boost.

I'm using these in two heavy Fordoor cars and I love them both.

booalou, YES! If your Squarebird came with a booster under the hood you can cut the rivets off and mount this new booster to it. Many of our conversions used the existing firewall bracket.
All hardware from the OEM bracket to the pedal remains stock. - Dave

DKheld 07-09-2018 11:19 AM

I've had good luck using the original booster on my Squarebird.

It's been a little over 13 years since I converted mine. The pedal pressure is not as "light" as my 2012 truck but I don't have to have Schwarzenegger legs either. It feels basically the same as the old drum system but stops 100X better with the discs.

I'm sure I could get a "lighter" pedal using a dual action booster and it would surely be cheaper to rebuild or replace but it works great so I haven't fixed what isn't broke - :rolleyes: . On the plus side there was no mods needed to the pedal assembly or rod. Had to change to the booster face to a Lincoln to give the 2 bolt mount rather than the 4 bolt mount as original. (the Lincoln and Tbird booster were exactly the same except for the number of mounting bolts).

Can the OEM Tbird booster be used on the '61-'63? Just a thought. I bet it would fit without hitting - :D

Eric

YellowRose 07-09-2018 12:20 PM

9" Brake booster

Some people have had to modify their shock tower brace to make this work.. Also, most of us use the 8" dual power booster and not the 9". In addition, you might want to use the Dual MC with the flat cover, not the Bubble cover, because that is what often can hit either the shock tower brace, or the inside of the hood when you close it.