• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juantejeda
    Experienced
    • May 7 2004

Horn Problems

Hello all....
    I am having a problem with my horn and Turn Signals With-off. It all started when I took my set Steering Wheel apart awhile back. I followed all the instructions to the letter for the removal and then putting it all back together, but somewhere along the line I must have done something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
    I have disassembled and put back together this Steering Wheel several time, following the directions and I still can't get the turn signals to click off after my turn and my horn works, but only when I press on the whole Steering wheel.
    Right now, if I push down on the Steering Wheel the horn sounds, but not when I use the Horn Ring. The Turn Signals all work, but will not disengage after I turn.
    Can anyone give me some advice?
    TJ
    Thunderbird Registry #7960
  • juantejeda
    Experienced
    • May 7 2004

Originally posted by juantejeda
    Hello all....
    I am having a problem with my horn and Turn Signals With-off. It all started when I took my set Steering Wheel apart awhile back. I followed all the instructions to the letter for the removal and then putting it all back together, but somewhere along the line I must have done something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
    I have disassembled and put back together this Steering Wheel several time, following the directions and I still can't get the turn signals to click off after my turn and my horn works, but only when I press on the whole Steering wheel.
    Right now, if I push down on the Steering Wheel the horn sounds, but not when I use the Horn Ring. The Turn Signals all work, but will not disengage after I turn.
    Can anyone give me some advice?
    Oh, by the way, Happy Easter to all of you, hope you have had a nice day with your families.
    TJ

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are two large phillips screws under the steering column. You may have to loosen them and pull the steering column up towards you. That usually fixes the problem with the horn. I'm not sure about the turn signal.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• juantejeda
        Experienced
        • May 7 2004

Horn Problem

I'll give that a try.

Thanks.
        TJ

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

I cant remember exactly, but I think pulling your outer steering column housing up towards the steering wheel will solve both your problems.

There is a C-shaped piece "turn indicator cancelling cam" inside that turns the turn signals off. When my column was too low, it couldnt engage the switch mechanism.

See pages 8-10 and 8-28 in the Ford Manual.

I'd take you wheel off again and check the position of that cam before sliding up the column and potentially breaking something on the indicator switch.
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Pay close attention to other functions before you tighten those two screws.

The guys are correct as both problems should straighten out BUT...
            When you turn the column, you also turn the neutral switch at the bottom of your column. When you loosten the screws, as you pull up on the column tube, also turn your steering wheel side to side. If the indicator cancel 'ears' are in the way, the steering wheel should get passed that and allow you to pull the tube up all the way. Pull the tube up as far as it will go. You can't go too far.

When the indicator shows "P" or "N", see if the car will start. If not, slightly turn the column tube until it does, then tighten the phillips screws. I hope this helps. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• juantejeda
              Experienced
              • May 7 2004

Horn Problem

The thing I don't understand is, why would the Steering Column move in the first place. I have never loosened the screws. I removed the Steering Wheel to get it refinished and when I put it back is when I started having the problems. I followed the directions word for word and when I tighten the wheel down, If I since it down too much the horn will honk continuously and I have to loosen it up, then when I try to honk the horn with the horn ring it does not work, yet when I push down (in) on the Steering Wheel it honks the horn. My signals work fine, they just don't disengage automatically. I've tried turning the 'C' that seems to be what disengages the signal but it won't turn off the signal switch.

If I loosen the column, is there a certain amount that I need to pull it up. How do I know how far to go?
              TJ

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

I think your horn insulator (B8S-3672-A) is either installed wrong or it has deteriorated with age. Bird Nest has one for ~$3.00 (search for part #580HBI).

Here is a site to show proper assembly illustrations from our members: Click Here

The fact that your horn sounds is good because it proves your wiring is good back to the relay. Pushing down on the wheel and having the horn sound proves that the brass brush isn't normally making contact, but when you push, the brush touches the shorted horn ring causing the horn to blow.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                ...Pull the tube up as far as it will go. You can't go too far.

When the indicator shows "P" or "N", see if the car will start. If not, slightly turn the column tube until it does, then tighten the phillips screws. I hope this helps. - Dave
                Last edited by simplyconnected; April 9, 2012, 03:15 AM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• juantejeda
                  Experienced
                  • May 7 2004

Horn Issues

@SimplyConnected

Those are, in fact, the instructions and diagram that I have followed, several times and these issues are what I ended up with. I have already replaced the Cork Gasket. The original reason for taking it apart was to restore the Steering Wheel. After I put it back together, following the instructions and diagram, is when I ended up with the issues.
                  Guess I'll have to take it apart, again.
                  Thanks for your input!
                  TJ

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Sometimes the column can move a fraction of an inch just taking the wheel off. That's all it takes for the horn not to work properly. Adjusting it is just loosening the screws slightly, pulling it up or pushing it down a hair at a time until the horn sounds when you push the ring. It's not a high tech system. It sounds like your column is too far up and that's why you can't fully tighten the wheel.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

...Those are, in fact, the instructions and diagram that I have followed,..
                      What was your resistance reading before installing the steering wheel?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• juantejeda
                        Experienced
                        • May 7 2004

Horn issues

I'm not sure what you mean by "What was your resistance reading....". I didn't know I was supposed to take a resistance reading.
                        All I know is that prior to taking off my Steering Wheel everything worked properly. The horn worked and the Turn Signals worked and disengaged during the turning movement.
                        TJ

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I still say all it needs is a slight adjustment of the steering column but if you want to make a mountain out of a molehill go right ahead. I've only done a few dozen of them.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

...I removed the Steering Wheel to get it refinished... ...If I since it down too much the horn will honk continuously and I have to loosen it up, then when I try to honk the horn with the horn ring it does not work, yet when I push down (in) on the Steering Wheel it honks the horn...
                            Originally posted by jopizz
                            ...It sounds like your column is too far up and that's why you can't fully tighten the wheel.
                            John, nobody is questioning your mechanical skills. He took the wheel apart to restore it. He can tighten the wheel but when he does, the horn honks continuously. The wheel is so far up that the signals won't cancel.

Juan, the resistance check pertains to picture #5 in the site I posted. Using your meter on the OHM scale; put one prod on the center metal and the other prod on the bottom plate, they should be insulated from each other.

I have to assume all your parts are there including the snap ring. There should be a gap between the snap ring and that bottom plate. When you push the horn ring, the bottom plate touches the snap ring and the horn blows. After straightening this insulation assembly out, then mount the steering wheel.

Tighten the wheel all the way down on the spline.

Let's see a picture of your snap ring with a feeler gauge under it. Send it to simplyconnected@aol.com and I will post it here. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• juantejeda
                              Experienced
                              • May 7 2004

Horn issues

OK, I will give this a try, just can't get to it right now. I will probably get to it this weekend and I will start by doing a resistance reading and then make sure that all is assembled properly. I will take pictures as I go and send them, as soon as I have them.
                              Thanks you everyone for all the input, Lord knows I need all the help I can get.
                              TJ

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎