X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1965TbirdMan
    Apprentice
    • Mar 17 2010

Motor is pretty hot

The other issue I think I have is that my motor seems to be pretty hot. The gauge says its in the norm I grounded the gauge and it works but I think the sending unit might be wrong. I've been trying to find a mechanical gauge but none seem fit. When I did the engine swap I changed the thermostat but not the water pump however all the hoses are warm so it seems like the water is moving. I'm thinking flush the radiator, maybe new clutch fan and new thermostat. I can go with a new pump but not looking forward to that however. I don't want to burn up a new engine with less than 15 miles on it. It really just seems like the engine is way to hot I can feel a lot of heat when I'm near the engine while running.
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

I just replaced the engine in my Squarebird and had the same problem.

Thought the new engine was running hot. The old engine ran at the "E" in temp and the new one runs at the "P". Same sending unit - just transferred it over from the old to the new one. Used my cheapo ($20) Infra-red no contact temp thingy from Harbor Freight and it tells me the sending unit temp is 160 deg when pointing to the "P".

I'd get one of those IR temp readers and see what it reads. Best $20 I have spent on my car lately.

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by DKheld
      ...The old engine ran at the "E" in temp and the new one runs at the "P". Same sending unit - just transferred it over from the old to the new one...
      That must mean the same sending unit is passing more current through the gauge OR your voltage regulator is going bad. Another possibility is, you have a better (lower resistance) engine ground.

Mechanical regulators work like turn signal units with a bi-metal strip. They're on all the time your key is on. After many years, they get erratic. They're supposed to pulse 12 volts at exactly 50% duty cycle to average six volts.

My Fluke meter has two functions that I use on regulators: 'Cycles per second' (~) and 'Change In Cycles per sec' (delta ~). So, it shows -2, +10, -5, -3, +15...

If you need a solid state regulator let me know. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎