Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Detent plate replacement (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15046)

zgolson 05-09-2013 05:02 PM

Detent plate replacement

I replaced my detent plate recently. I still have to wiggle the shifter to get the car to start. is there an additional adjustment that needs to be made?

jopizz 05-09-2013 06:06 PM

You may also have to replace the shift lever. Even with a new detent plate is the shift lever is worn it will not lock in park correctly. If the lever feels like it's locking correctly then you can try adjusting the neutral switch under the steering column.

John

zgolson 05-09-2013 07:14 PM

Thanks John, The shift lever looks good. I will check the switch.

MD7591 05-10-2013 03:31 AM

Could it be possible the linkage arms that connect from the steering column to the tranny are worn or loose.

YellowRose 05-10-2013 09:21 AM

Detent plate replacement

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it is possible that the shift tube selector ring/arm at the bottom of the steering column is worn after all these years and needs to be replaced. Here is what mine looked like. You can see the wear around the ring and in the notch. After some 50 years of use, it can wear and cause problems.

cuul59 05-11-2013 01:40 AM

Selector Ring Arm

Over the years I have replaced my shift lever, shift collar and detent plate all helped a little. But replacing the shift ring arm made all the difference! I finally have eliminated all the slop and each gear position is usable. Big job but worth it.

Neil
CUUL59 Convertible

Rock&Roll Firebird 05-12-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuul59 (Post 75090)
Over the years I have replaced my shift lever, shift collar and detent plate all helped a little. But replacing the shift ring arm made all the difference! I finally have eliminated all the slop and each gear position is usable. Big job but worth it.

Neil
CUUL59 Convertible

This is a job that's comming to me very soon. Can you briefly describe how long it takes and what is needed to take apart to get to the shift selector arm (just briefly)?

KULTULZ 05-13-2013 07:27 AM

There should be a TECH ARTICLE here describing this repair.

Ray?

cuul59 05-13-2013 10:48 AM

Shift Arm Replacement Process

You asked what's involved and it's a pretty big job. In a nutshell;

You will need to pull the steering wheel, then the shift collar (replace this if it is at all worn around the roll pin), disconnect the turn signal switch and neutral switch wires (label the wires you disconnect from, important to also mark the position of the neutral switch before loosening it), then loosen the firewall weather seal.

Next you will disconnect the steering column from the clamp under the dash. The shift tube and selector arm will now slide out leaving only the steering shaft in place. Before you put the news arm on, be sure that it fits over tube and locking lug with just enough clearance to allow it to slide up and down smoothly, but not as loose as the old one! This is critical.

While you have it apart, you should also replace the shift detent plate if you haven't already. A new shifter lever arm and roll pin would make it all the more likely to achieve the results you would be happy with. I did all this in about 3-4 hours...only a little cursing, actually a lot.

You can contact me offline if you have additional questions (cuul59@gmail.com)

Neil
'59 Convertible

YellowRose 05-15-2013 02:38 PM

Shift Tube Selector Arm Replacement

Thanks to Neil~cuul59, and his information on replacing his shift tube selector arm on his '59 Squarebird, there IS now a technical item on this. I took his information, added some pix, and just put it into the Technical Resource Library (TRL). You will find it under the Steering Wheel section. Thank you, Neil for the documentation. It will be there for posterity for others to use. As always, you can access the TRL by just clicking the link under my signature on any post you see of mine. It will take you right to the TRL.