No announcement yet.

Trunk lid gasket fit ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk lid gasket fit ...

I'am installing a new trunk gasket on the 60'. There is no gasket now to compare to and the pics I have been able to find don't show enough detail. From the pics I've seen the gasket goes on the trunk lid, correct? From looking at the gasket I have it almost seems it would have to be installed on edge to seal. Also the lid does'nt fit evenly around the perimeter of the trunk. It fits right at the top and bottum in the center but is 3/8 to 1 /2" low on the bottum outside corners and on the outside edges going up toward the top. I tried putting wood blocks under the outside corners and pushing down on the middle at the trunk latch but it just springs back. Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    Attached Files
  • Coral
    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Heres a few pix.......

http://picasaweb.google.com/astikenn...eat=directlink

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trunk lid gasket fit ...

Thanks for posting those pix of the trunk seal, Cathie! You are a terrific help to our members with the things you come up with in research. Good Job! That should help him figure it out.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 9 2007

There is a Ford Bulletin to add bumpers in the rear corners near the outboard tail-lights to help raise the trunk lid. If adjustment and the installation of the new gasket do not improve the fit, I'll locate and post the Bulletin if that will help.
        Attached Files
        Ken
        1959 J Convertible
        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Funny, as I was just looking at my trunk today. I am quite confused how to change that "black paper" that are in between the trunk top & inside sheet metal. Mine was in such a bad shape, and looked realy bad, so I just tryed to get rid of it. But it is still behind the structure, and I have no clue how to get it off the car. I found it was rusty behind it, but luckely, only a thin layer of rust. My worries is how to get it rustfree behind this structure.
          Anyway, I also noticed that my trunk latch have a bracket or washer in between the latch and the trunk in the most rear position of the two bolts. This make the trunk fit quite nice to be honest.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Leave it behind the ribs or your going to here al kinds of rattles

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics Cathie, but I may have to start calling you Sunshine as that's what your pic brings to mind. Ken, if you could post that bulletin that would be great. Seems like that may be what it's going to take. Thanks, Mike
              Last edited by Guest; June 11, 2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by tbirds8
                Leave it behind the ribs or your going to here al kinds of rattles
                You can always replace it with rolled cork - sound proofing, insulation and water resistance...

Comment

• Coral
                  Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  Thanks for posting those pix of the trunk seal, Cathie! You are a terrific help to our members with the things you come up with in research. Good Job! That should help him figure it out.
                  awe, shucks...thanks Ray....

Comment

• Coral
                    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                    Thanks for posting the pics Cathie, but I may have to start calling you Sunshine as that's what your pic brings to mind. Ken, if you could post that bulletin that would be great. Seems like that may be what it's going to take. Thanks, Mike
                    Oh lordy, thank you....I was just looking for a pic I was smiling in......

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trunk lid gasket fit ...

In regards to hood and trunk lid insulation, you might want to go through these five or so pages on this subject... It might help..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Oct 9 2007

Mike,

I’ve attached a pdf of Product Service Letter 393, that addresses the installation of a rubber bumper to aide with trunk lid fit.

I’d like to point out one fit issue with our Squarebird Trunk Lids before you start drilling to add bumpers. Most Trunk Lids do not fit properly, very few do in my experience. At the center/back edge of the trunk lid near the license plate holder, most trunk lids are high in this area, with a noticeable gap. The third picture of yours shows this area with beautiful alignment. If your trunk latch has been adjusted for a proper gap in the center, this could be affecting the gap at the corners, which is what I suspect by looking at the photos. If your car is the norm, there will be a gap at the rear center edges above the inboard tail light that you’ll have to live with. I’ve spoken with some of the authorities of these birds and they’ve yet to come up with a fix. Many convertibles, which are hinged at the rear without a trunk latch, also exhibit this fit problem. If someone knows how to fix this, please add to this post.

I’d recommend you install the trunk weather strip first, then look at the gaps along the rear of the deck and consider an adjustment based on my experience outlined above.
                        Attached Files
                        Ken
                        1959 J Convertible
                        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                          Experienced
                          • May 4 2009

ken, id like to thank you for posting that page also i replaced the trunk lid on rosie with one from a 59 (i was having fits ) tryin to get it to line up right i was like surley ford didnt change lids between the three years (the original didnt fit right either at least not good enough for me)

i fought and fought with the new lid everytime id get where i wanted it id tighten it down and shut it and it would be right back where it started (i think at some point rosie got a love tap on her left rear)

but after alot of tryin and callin my little bird alot of unfriendly names i got it to stay where i wanted it (with some gentle persuasion from my small sledge)

but anywho above the rear corners near the tailights the lid is still too low for me and im like whadaido now i know cool!!!

but to help answer the original question to get the front corner of the lid up you need to losen the mounting bolts (lid to hinges) and pivot the lid on the hinge arms this will throw off the latch alignment (i think your main problem is your latch is set too high) so you'll have to play around with that just loosen the bolts enough to allow the lid and or larch to move (snuglly) and move it at little increments
                          Last edited by 57ford/60thunderbird; June 18, 2009, 03:33 PM.
                          57 ford sedan
                          60 thunderbird registry number 33404
                          69 mustang coupe
                          69 roadrunner

Comment

Thanks for the info Ken. I will be installing the seal tommorrow, so I will let you know how it works out. Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎