Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   This I didn't know untill yesterday Oil additive (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21118)

olevet 11-27-2016 06:39 AM

This I didn't know untill yesterday Oil additive

Ive been reading about a Lawsuit involving Dollar store oil damaging newer cars, Found out that for our Older cars we need that oil. But mostly the oil we buy today needs to have the Zinc additive mixed in on the Oil change
Thank God for my friends at O'Reilly's
They are a tremendous help to me

Frango100 11-27-2016 08:02 AM

Indeed our flat tappet engines need the Zinc for extra lubrification. Im using Motul mineral classic oil 20W50, which is specially made for 1950-1970 engines.

Dan Leavens 11-27-2016 09:07 AM

Yes definitely need oil with zinc for these older gals. Go to the main page and hit the SEARCH button and type in the box "Zinc Additive" and read the many threads regarding this topic by our members. A good read to understand the importance.

olevet 11-27-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Leavens (Post 105109)
Yes definitely need oil with zinc for these older gals. Go to the main page and hit the SEARCH button and type in the box "Zinc Additive" and read the many threads regarding this topic by our members. A good read to understand the importance.

Thanks I will. I did type in Oil additive and then just "Oil" and got no results

Deanj 11-27-2016 05:08 PM

I would say: Bull. There's enough zinc in today's oil for flat tappet cams unless you're breaking in a new, re-built engine, or maybe racing. You'd see an entire market dedicated to selling zinc enriched oil if it were dire. I believe zinc has been decreased in motor oils because it decreases catalytic converter life. So, I wouldn't sweat the zinc additive.

Joe Johnston 11-27-2016 05:48 PM

Lots of discussion & cussin on the net about zinc in oil for old cars. Seems as though it is very complex issue - everyone has to decide for themselves. For me a $10 bottle of ZDDP additive is cheap insurance for my annual oil change.

olevet 11-27-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Johnston (Post 105121)
Lots of discussion & cussin on the net about zinc in oil for old cars. Seems as though it is very complex issue - everyone has to decide for themselves. For me a $10 bottle of ZDDP additive is cheap insurance for my annual oil change.

Thats my thoughts on it, Plus how many times a year are you going to change oul Maybe twice for me no more than ill be driving mine

simplyconnected 11-27-2016 06:02 PM

Our engines were designed and built for oils of that time period. Since then, oil and fuel formulations have changed over a dozen times.

ZDDP is the main ingredient that is missing in today's oil. It is mainly zinc and phosphorous which is used up by flat tappets. So if you start out with 1,500 parts per million (ppm), that number decreases as the engine runs.

Most of the engines built today don't have flat tappets, they are roller follower or roller lifter. ZDDP attacks catalytic converters, so no ZDDP.

Changing to roller lifters wasn't cheap to do for the car manufacturers but they did it to meet environment EPA spec's.

The bottom line is... sadly, our engines simply don't meet today's fuels, oils, compressions, etc. Many members de-tune their timing to lower engine heat at the expense of fuel economy. ZDDP can be found in oils with viscosity of at LEAST 40 (in the numbers), like racing oil or diesel (S**** Rotella) oil such as 15W-40. I rebuilt my Y-block with hardened exhaust valve seats, required for gasohol. I'm stuck with flat tappets so I use 15W-40 and I change it every 3,000 miles JUST to maintain the ZDDP concentration. Now I take my classic on long trips without hesitation. If your engine is stock, it won't have longevity using today's pump gas or common oil. - Dave

keith 11-27-2016 08:25 PM

I use S**** Rotella diesel oil in my flathead and a off brand motor (making plans for its replacement).

A engine builder introduced me to the Rotella.

Deanj 11-28-2016 04:09 PM

Yeah, Rotella will cost over $32 for 5 quarts. For less money there's synthetic oil. We can greatly disagree over which oil would be most appropriate and the "safest". However, I've seen more written about the superiority of synthetic than extra zinc.