X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brushwolf
    Experienced
    • Jul 18 2015

Dirty Bird home and being cleaned up...

Got my 59 home from the farm a couple days ago. Decided to clean up interior before pulling knocking 390 motor. It had the dreaded mice, but DCon put in it last year apparently convinced them to head elsewhere.

Removed seats, carpet, under padding and remains of headliner. Found a few missing parts (dash bezel for ignition and light switches, left side coat hook and chrome piece). Also found a Mexican coin, matchbook from a bar in Arizona and church bulletin from Arizona.

This car has been mostly sitting about 15 years, but seems to be pretty solid as you would expect if it is originally from Arizona. Guy I bought it from had acquired it in WI and it still has WI collector plates on it.

Interior had been redone in all black seats at one time, but the vinyl had started cracking before the mice made it worse. Odd combination of no power seats or Windows, but has tinted glass and factory AC (looks like it is all still there...)

Has a 68 390 and C6 in it already, but it has a knock. Also has noisy exhaust, so may fire it up one more time just to be sure. Assuming the 390 is not up to the job anymore, I hope to squeeze an already rebuilt 460 and a different C6 into it.

Had planned on starting on mechanicals and not interior, but car has been leaking water in back window (shot gasket) and heater core is apparently bad (disconnected, bypassed and floor on that side is pretty much gone..).

Footwell on driver side isn't great either, so have ordered both new foot wells. Inner rockers look ok, but water has been standing in some parts of trunk too. Thought it was trunk gasket, but looks like it is the back window on more thorough inspection.

Been putting together a big order for Mac's, but I just keep finding more stuff I want to replace. Think I better get the back glass gasket in on that order.

Windshield is cracked too and has been siliconed around trim on passenger side, so back glass gasket replacement should be good practice for later windshield and gasket replacement.

I fortunately live close to Auto City Classic, so will probably replace door and quarter glasses too. Both quarter glasses have the sun-induced smoking effect going on them and driver door glass has upper front corner broken out of it.

Anyone here who has done their own back glass R&R with new gasket?

Thanks, Mike H
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brushwolf; August 31, 2018, 10:13 PM.
  • Brushwolf
    Experienced
    • Jul 18 2015

Unidentified parts?

And I think I figured out what all the loose parts are, except these 2 pieces. What are they?

Mike H
    Attached Files

Comment

• 9310alloy
      Apprentice
      • Jul 2 2016

Outboard grill seals

Mike, Those are the outboard grill opening sealing plates. You will see a opening (if missing) inner fender front.
      Mike

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Mike is correct. You can see them on the diagram.

John
        Attached Files
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Mike:
          1. The 2 parts are inserts that fit on the inside of the front bumper. See attached picture.

2. Anyone here who has done their own back glass R&R with new gasket?
          I replaced all of my glass "except" the rear window. I had a glass installer come to the house and do the installation. I might have done the rear glass myself, after watching some Youtube videos, but decided that the windshield was too expensive to try myself, so I had him do both glasses. The rear did not look that difficult. When you pull the small panel between the trunk deck lid and rear weatherstrip, don't be surprised at the rust under this panel. Also there are some filler plates under the panel that need to be sealed. I'll see if I can find a pic of this also.
          Not unusual to have tinted glass with AC. I think this was the factory option to combine these two.
          Welcome to the site and we will help you wherever we can for the reassembly.
          BTW, most of the TBird parts houses will give you 10% off on orders over $1000, so combine your purchase to reach this number. It isn't hard to do. ;-)
          Nyles
          Attached Files

Comment

• Brushwolf
            Experienced
            • Jul 18 2015

Thanks Mike, John, Nyles.

Yes, I was wondering why my grill looked like it had shrunk a little at each end, so that answers that question. Thought it was missing some bolts (and it is..), but now wondering why those pieces were removed... And wondering if part number 17060 from JOHN'S diagram might be missing too...

Yeah, I have an order put together that is approaching $1,500 with Mac's alone and that doesn't include gasket(s?) for doing back glass. Spent probably $700 more with other suppliers (Eastwood, Classic, EBay and reference material purchases too. I will soon have spent on parts what I paid for the car.

Probably already have since I got the disk brake setup and front end rebuild kit and new steering parts standing by, but I am intentionally not keeping too close track of what I have spent.

There was some surface rust on top of package tray structure inside the car, so wouldn't be surprised if there was more under the narrow piece on the outside too. I have a 110 MIG welder I can roll out there and repair any sections if it is worse than I expect.

Thanks, Mike
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Guys great job in guiding Mike through these steps with pixs. That is why our Webmaster Simplyconnected always says take pictures through the process not only for future assembly reference but to identify parts and procedures. Good stuff
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Brushwolf
                Experienced
                • Jul 18 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                Mike:
                1. The 2 parts are inserts that fit on the inside of the front bumper. See attached picture.

2. Anyone here who has done their own back glass R&R with new gasket?
                I replaced all of my glass "except" the rear window. I had a glass installer come to the house and do the installation. I might have done the rear glass myself, after watching some Youtube videos, but decided that the windshield was too expensive to try myself, so I had him do both glasses. The rear did not look that difficult. When you pull the small panel between the trunk deck lid and rear weatherstrip, don't be surprised at the rust under this panel. Also there are some filler plates under the panel that need to be sealed. I'll see if I can find a pic of this also.
                Not unusual to have tinted glass with AC. I think this was the factory option to combine these two.
                Welcome to the site and we will help you wherever we can for the reassembly.
                BTW, most of the TBird parts houses will give you 10% off on orders over $1000, so combine your purchase to reach this number. It isn't hard to do. ;-)
                Nyles
                I got the sealant and trim assembly manual off EBay, but if you have more pics of what seals are needed besides back glass gasket it would be helpful before I send the Mac's order in.

My Eastwood order and new 430 non-AC front springs from Mac's came this morning, but want to get back glass water leaks resolved before tearing into the mechanicals.

I thought the fact that it had AC, but no power windows or seat was odd, based on a 59 and 60 I had decades ago. Getting one power seat base from a member cuz it has height adjustment and my wife wants to drive it sometime and she is Asian, 5'2". May not be able to see over steering wheel..

Prefer the manual windows, less to go wrong. Quarter glass mechanism on passenger side was very stiff and window would not roll up all the way again after lowered, but got it loosened up and works fine again now.

Also ordered a new set of tail light lenses and chrome trim sleeves from another supplier because mine have hairline cracks and are faded, which wasn't apparent until close inspection.

Thanks, Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

• Brushwolf
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 18 2015

Actually, better than I expected. Mostly still paint, a little surface rust and no deep pitting or holes..
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Brushwolf
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 18 2015

Left side has a little more paint missing, but still solid..
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Mike:
                      Doesn't look too bad. I'd take a little pic and just hit the metal in the rusted areas, just to make sure it's not cancer and there is solid metal. As you can see, they sealed the heck out of the holes where the retaining bolts, for the filler panel, go through the body. This could definitely become a leak point. Also the square holes, as I remember, go right through to the trunk. Maybe I was hallucinating, but I sealed them also. You might want to check if that is a leak path, and let us know. It seemed strange for these holes to be in the location they were and not sealed.
                      As for seals for the rear of the car, these are the only ones I remember:
                      1. Trunk lid seal
                      2. Rear window rubber seal
                      3. Tail light seals where they penetrate to the trunk. I have a 60, so not sure if it was the same on a 59.
                      Some of the guys on Youtube were saying that you should use a sealer on the inside of the rubber gasket for the rear and front windshield. The guy that installed mine used nothing except some soapy water to slip things together. Mine hasn't been a problem, thought it doesn't see much water. It's definitely not a daily driver and sits mostly in the garage and gets the dry detail washes.
                      It also looks like your trunk stays up by itself. If so, you are lucky. I had mine staying open, until I got it back from the body/paint shop, and then the extra added weight makes me use the stick trick to keep it open. ;-(
                      Nyles

Comment

• Brushwolf
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 18 2015

Yes, the bolt holes for that trim and those square holes can all leak inside the body/trunk. My trunk lid stays 90% open, but there is a little weakness in the hinges. It never shuts on its own, or anything like that, though.

I have seen glass installs both ways too (with and without a sealant between glass and gasket and body and gasket). I think I will err on the side of caution and use a sealer.

I had a couple bolts break off that hold that exterior trim piece on, so have to fix that. At first I thought it was a foam seal around each retaining bolt, but it may be a "fence" around each bolt hole made with something resembling plumbers putty. It still can hold a new shape and doesn't crumble making me think they aren't foam (though there are some little foam wedges holding up the inside of the rear window gasket under the rear half of the package tray assembly..).

Had a couple of my kids here for the weekend and one left his car here needing new drive axles, sway bar links, strut sleeves, etc.. So, didn't get much done on the TBird.

But, ordered parts for the son's car and it will take at least a week for parts to arrive, so should be able to get back to TBird tomorrow. Sent the son home with my wife's car and her to work with my truck.

So, I am kinda stranded (except for the Internet), but did fire up the TBird again on Friday. Clicking and smoking a little, but it still runs at least. Gen light on (though it has a 68(?) Ford alternator). Oil light goes out when started and idling, but could swear it develops a hammering noise when revved up a bit...

Got my other quarter glass operating freely again. Really stiff from being left up for years, apparently.

Mike H

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

Mike:
                          Can't say for sure what Ford sealant manual says, but I used dum dum strip caulk to seal the holes where the retaining bolts go through the body for the panel between the rear window and trunk. I also pop riveted some small plates over the square holes and made sure they were sealed. We'll see if others have any other recommendation.
                          Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Brushwolf
                            but could swear it develops a hammering noise when revved up a bit...Mike H
                            If the car sat for that long you might have stuck valves. That would account for the hammering you hear. It may not be lower end noise.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Brushwolf
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 18 2015

Yes, my son and I had discussed that possibility as that exact thing happened on a 61 Sunliner FE that had been sitting for years. Stuck valves and bent some pushrods. Also had a bunch of bent pushrods in a 62 390 that had sat for 11 years. Long push rods seem to be prone to that, but probably just a symptom and not a cause. Not sure if I want to do too much work on the motor though, as I have several rebuilt ones already.

Mike H

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎