Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howelljason70
    • May 10 2010

1959 Thunderbird ignition installation

I have a new ignition switch and I am having troubles figuring out how to install it onto the dash. I have the bezel, and the locking ring but I can not figure out how it would be held in place. Does the plastic insert that indicates the keys position somehow hold everything together? Thanks for any help.
    P.S. BTW all the pieces were missing originally as the previous owner had the ignition out to replace the key cylinder.
    Last edited by howelljason70; June 9, 2010, 06:22 PM. Reason: Forgot some additional info
  • howelljason70
    • May 10 2010

Are you describing how to remove and install the key cylinder? I have a whole new unit with the key cylinder and keys included, but I can't figure out how the wholes switch is retained on the dash. Thank you very much for the reply!

Comment

Hey Jason,
      Had a brain WOOBY DOOBY!
      Ok, you should unscrew the center part that surrounds the key hole and it and bezel should release! There is a spring that keeps the switch under tension when it is all together. Should be able to wiggle and it will come out! UNDO BATTERY FIRST!
      Richard D. Hord
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; June 9, 2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Hey Jason,
        See the slots 90 degrees off key hole? Insert large screwdriver and turn 1/4 turn. This should release ignition switch! Once again the spring holds tension on them to hold them in place!
        Keep us posted!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Dutchbird
          Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
          Ok, you should unscrew the center part that surrounds the key hole and it and bezel should release! There is a spring that keeps the switch under tension when it is all together.
          Richard D. Hord
          Here's a scheme: (With Thanks to Dave; first use!)
          Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1959 Thunderbird ignition installation

It seems to me that ya'll are telling him how to take it OUT. From what I read he has it out. He is trying to figure out how to put it back IN!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• howelljason70
              • May 10 2010

Thank you everyone for the replies, they were very helpful. So I ended up taking a plastic insert from another bezel on the dash, and with a little customizing with a drill press I was able to assemble everything and get the ignition switch installed. It turned out it was just the plastic piece that I was missing. Thanks again for all of the replies, I have been trying to figure this out for a while now.

Comment

Hey Ray,
                If I have something in front of me not installed, you better bet I will figure out how to put it in and get it together. Its allot easier to see how something goes together out in the open then with over half of it hid! Parts like this I do a dry run on them, put them together and see what needs to be done when they are in place!!!
                Just my two cents worth!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎