X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackbird60
    Experienced
    • Nov 28 2008

Center Hub- How To Remove

HI ALL! I HAVE A 60 TBIRD AND I NEEDED A NEW DRUM.

SO HOW DO I REMOVE THE CENTER HUB FROM THE OLD DRUM? THIS IS THE FRONT DRUM I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I HAVE HAMMER ON THE SLOTS WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER THINKING THAT WOULD REMOVE IT.

IS THERE SOMETHING I AM MISSING?

JACK

Hey Jack,
    Are you trying to remove drum from spindle or trying to remove drum bearings?
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jackbird60
      Experienced
      • Nov 28 2008

i am trying to remove the inner portion of the old drum that has the bearing etc, along with the bolts. that's the hub with the bolts.

when you buy a new drum, you don't get that center spindle of course so i am trying to figure how to get it off the old.

jack

Comment

Originally posted by jackbird60
        i am trying to remove the inner portion of the old drum that has the bearing etc, along with the bolts. that's the hub with the bolts.

when you buy a new drum, you don't get that center spindle of course so i am trying to figure how to get it off the old.

jack

Jack, typically the the lug nuts are removed, the wheel is removed, then the drum is removed, then the hub is removed from the spindle. The bearings and races are then replaced, the hub and spindle re-greased, then drum replaced and finally wheel re-lugged back on.

Did you take off the spindle nut first and the hub and drum came off altogether? If so there are 2 choices; 1) put the hub back on the spindle with the drum attached, replace the spindle nut and then remove the drum from the hub. Sometimes a few well placed taps with a 3 lb mallet are required. normally you want to be careful as not to chip the drum. But in your case chip away cause you're replacing the drum. 2) place the drum on the floor face up with the bottom of the drum on two 4x4s so the hub has clearance to the floor. Turn on all the lugs about 4 turns, then tap-tap-tap on every other lug nut until the hub breaks loose from the drum. Remove lug nuts and separate drum from hub, as it will then fall apart.

Hope this helps. Apparently you may have some rust that has frozen the hub and drum together slightly. In very extreme cases oxy-acetelyne heat may be required.

Comment

• jackbird60
          Experienced
          • Nov 28 2008

yep, i got it thanks for all your help and advise.

Just a tough nut to crack as they would say.

Jack

Comment

• ncbird
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

old school

If the drum doesnt want to seperate from the hub it is because it has formed a bond with the hub mating surface. Put the hub/drum back on the spindle and tighten it down. I dont recommend hitting a drum on the edge because of the risk of chipping the drum. Hit it between the studs..by that I mean hit the face of the drum directly on top of where it mates to the hub. Work your way around the drum hitting in between the studs and I mean hit it. I usually use a large ball peen and try to hit flat. This has been my experience. Grant
            Grant
            NCbird on the Coast of NC
            "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

I use heat. In the 'old' days, I would smack the drum it with a big hammer. That distorted the drum.

A propane torch will work. Remember, your brakes are designed for elevated heat. Heat the drum between the studs and tap it with a hammer (between the studs) to loosten the rust-bond. The drum should not 'center' on the studs. In fact, the studs should not touch the drum because the drum is centered on the hub. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎