• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texastomeh
    Apprentice
    • Aug 28 2007

"Rube Goldberg" PCV Setup???

Guys,

My '63 TBird (390 4V) has (in my Chevy opinion) the most "Rube Goldberg" PCV setup that I have ever seen. And, according to the factory manual - it is completely stock and correct!

I do not know if the PCV of all 390s of that era are this way, but the TBird it is set up as follows: A short (4 in.) piece of 1/2 in. dia. hose connects the long leg of an 1/2 in. dia. 8 in. X 4 in. "J" pipe to the crakecase port at the rear of the engine. The other leg of the "J" pipe is connected to the PCV Valve by another (10 in.) piece of 1/2 in. hose. The other end of the PCV Valve is threaded into a inverted "Y" fitting which is bolted to the intake manifold. One of the "legs(?)" of the inverted "Y" is sealed/solid. The other leg is connected to the base of the carb bt yet another(~ 6 in.) piece of 1/2 in. hose. All-in-all it consists of three sections of 1/2 in. hose, six clamps, the "J" pipe, the inverted "Y" fitting, and the PCV Valve!

Don't get me wrong! I do NOT want to eliminate the PCV Valve! It just seems to me that it would just be more efficient and cleaner looking to run a 6-8 in. length of 1/2 in. dia. hose from the crankcase port to the PCV Valve and another 4-6 in. piece from the Valve to the base of the carb.

Am I missing something re the purpose and reason for all these other pieces of plumbing?

thanx,

texastomeh
  • Hawkrod
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2005

The system is designed the way it is prevent oil use. The metal tube allows some cooling and the shape causes oil to fall out of suspension. This reduces the amount of oil that might be drawn through the PCV. I am not sure if it really works but that was the engineers intent. Hawkrod

Comment

• texastomeh
      Apprentice
      • Aug 28 2007

Thankx, Hawk.

I sorta' suspected as much - hoping the was some; "Method to their madness."

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎