Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveB
    • Dec 11 2010

60 Bird engine, valve cover, air cleaner colors

Doning the under hood stuff to pretty up the car. I ordered the paint from a TBird vendor but the colors don't look right. The valve covers are bright yellow and air cleaner is gloss white. Where can I can the correct paint in a rattle can?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Hey Dave,
    Goldenrod Yellow was for the '60-352-300 hp engine!
    Richard D. Hord

P.S. Done some searching and found this, http://www.tbirdranch.com/5860concours.html
    Last edited by Guest; February 12, 2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

According to the VTCI Official Factory Specifications, the correct color for the 1960 352 valve covers is Goldenrod Yellow. For the air cleaner it is white.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dave further to the guys comments our Mr.Tast would be able to chime in with the exact, as he wrote the book. On the 60 the valve cover colours in our Technical Section it calls for a Ditzler Yellow ( Medium Bright Yellow ) My 60HT exterior colour is Moroccan Ivory ( a very nice cream yellow ) and I didn't have the heart to do my valve covers Ditzler Yellow too much yellow. I went the chrome route on the valve covers and the air cleaner for a little extra pop.

Technical Section:
        # DAR 2414 OR Dupont #5374 ( chrome optional )
        The air cleaner is white ( Colonial White ).
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
          Experienced
          • Jan 5 2008

Goldenrod Yellow was the sales name used for the bright yellow first used on '55 Ford/T-bird exteriors. It was carried forward for use on valve covers for the '60 352-300 hp engine. The 352-360 hp engines (not offered in T-birds) did use a gold color that was also used on '61-'63 390 hipo/406 engines (not to be confused with the Castillain Gold used on '63-'64 390-4v engines or the Gold used on 289 ci small-blocks or Gold Bronze on '65 390-4v's).

Now, it just so happens that I've been working on compiling paint code numbers from various manufacturers and narrowing down engine-related paint colors as part of my on-going research for VTCI's Original Factory Specifications books. For '58-'60 here's what I have to date. Note that numbers in italics are not confirmed formula numbers. Paint numbers from Ditzler/PPG, duPont and Martin Senour are taken from 1950s-1960s paint chip charts and a listing of Ditzler/PPG engine paints from circa 1971: I have no idea what their curent versions are. These numbers should help you to narrow down a cross-reference number for more-modern paint systems.

I know not know numbers for rattle can formulas. At best I suggest you go to your local auto body paint jobber and ask them if they can load paint into aerosol cans for you (most places can do this).

I have listed both enamel and lacquer numbers, but for durability purposes I would stay with enamels. For the Ditzler/PPG codes, DQE- is an enamel formula, DAL- is lacquer, DDE- is what I believe a code for engine enamel, and DE- is the code used circa 1971 for enamel. More research is needed to determine if other manufacturers (duPont, R-M, Sherwin-Williams, etc.) have similar codes for engine colors that carry cross references to Ford M-#'s.

Engine Black: Engine Block, Heads, Intake, Front Cover, Water Pump, Oil Pan
          1958 Ford/T-bird 352
          Ditzler Enamel#: DQE-9003
          Ford #: M-2824

Engine Black: Engine Block, Heads, Intake, Front Cover, Water Pump, Oil Pan
          1959-1960 Ford/T-bird 352
          Ditzler Enamel#: DQE-9003
          Ford #: M1J-995, M1J-1611, M1J-1616, EP-1724 (Reconditioning Engine Black)

Ford listed M-2824 prior to 1985-1959; M1J-995 appears to have been brought out in 1958, and M4J-1611 and M1J-1616 in 1963 as a black for engines, but it's not confirmed if the numbers designated different formulation or gloss levels. Ditzler/PPG listed DQE-9000 as being used 1964-1965, while DQE-9003 was listed as a Ford standard/utility color used 1963 and prior. DQE-9000/9003 appear to be engine gloss/semi-gloss black in comparison to DQE-9123 (see next paragraph).
          Black (Engine): Valve Covers

1959-1960 T-bird/Lincoln 430
          Ditzler Enamel: DQE-9123
          Ford #: ? ?

Ditzler/PPG noted that Ditzler Enamel# DQE-9123 was a flat black used for Lincoln Continental 430 valve covers 1963-prior (which I think is more of a semi-gloss finish) and as a standard/utility color the period, and that DQE-9000, which was a gloss black, was used on 1964-1965 Lincoln Continentals. It appears to me that Ditzler's number for the paint used on brackets and other underhood items may be DQE-9123, and that the black used on engines and valve covers for the T-bird and Lincoln 430 may be DQE-9003/M4J-995. The Ford M-#'s that coincide with DQE-9003 and DQE-9123 need to be determined.

Argent Silver/Aluminum: Engine Accessories, i.e. Power Steering Reservoir
          Ditzler Enamel: DEE-45
          Ford #: M2J-23

This is Ford's standard/utility color used through the '50s and into the '70s/beyond on everything from 1950s full-size front bumper splash pans to '60s trim inserts. This # appears to be from the late 1940s-early 1950's. There is another engine color that appears in Ford literature for Argent Silver, M1J-607, which first shows up in 1956 literature, which may be the color used for 1961-1962 T-bird air cleaners and valve covers.

Colonial White: Air Cleaner
          1958-1960 T-bird 352 & 430
          Ditzler Enamel/Lacquer #: DQE-8103 / DAL-8103
          duPont Stock #/ Duco #: 2214
          duPont Dulux #: 93-59543
          Martin Senour Lacquer #: 61T-2542
          Martin Seynour Synthol #: 80T-1040
          Ford #: M4J-524

Bright Blue (Engine): (Not to be confused with Ford Corporate Blue used '66-'71)
          1958 - Ford/T-bird 352-300 hp Engine Block, Heads, Intake, Front Cover, Water Pump, Oil Pan
          1959 - Ford/T-bird 352-300 hp Valve Covers
          Ditzler Enamel#: DQE-11297
          Ford #: M1J-998

For comparison, the blue used starting in 1966 has a different number:
          Ford Corporate Blue: Engine, Valve Covers, Air Cleaner
          1966 All Engines
          Ditzler Enamel#: DQE-13358
          Ford #: EP-2075 (Reconditioning Engine Blue)

Turquoise (Engine):
          1958 - Ford 332//T-bird 332-Export Engine Block, Heads, Intake, Front Cover, Water Pump, Oil Pan
          1959-1960 - Ford 352-2v Valve Covers (Need to verify if also used on T-bird Low Compression/Export engines)
          Ditzler Enamel: DQE-12007
          Ford #: M1J-951

Goldenrod Yellow: Valve Covers
          1960 Ford/T-bird 352-300 hp
          Ditzler Enamel/Lacquer #: DQE-80653 / DAL-80653
          duPont Stock #/ Duco #: 1939
          Martin Senour Lacquer #: 93-58044
          Ford #: M2J-358

The Ditzler listings also had a few more yellows for Ford engine colors as follows:

Bright Yellow: Valve Covers, Air Cleaner (?)
          1964-1965 Comet (need engine application)
          Ditzler Enamel #: DQE-80301

Yellow:
          1963 Comet Valve Covers, Air Cleaner (?) (need engine application);
          1964-1965 Ford Trucks w/Cummins Diesels Engine Long Block, Valve Covers
          Ditzler Enamel #: DQE-81196

For comparison, this is for the '60-'63 HiPo engines (NOT for T-bird 390-4v '63-'64) and '65 Ford/T-bird 390-4v:
          Gold (Engine, HiPo): Valve Covers, Air Cleaner
          1960 352-360 hp HiPo, 1961-1962 390 HiPo, 1962-1963 406 HiPo
          Ditzler Enamel/Lacquer #: DQE-21903 / DAL-21903
          Ford #: ? ? (Need Ford's color #)

Ditzler/PPG also listed a few more standard/utility colors that may have the following applications needing verification:

Black DE-9003 (Noted above, appears to be the black used on engine long blocks 1959-1963)

Blue Gray DE-30113 (May be for 1965-late '60s Ford/Thompson PS Pump? Need verification: the Ford/Thompson pumps used a bluish-green color)

Silver Gray DE-30120 (Noted above, need more informaton on usage - I don't believe this is the same as Argent Silver, but may be M1A-607 for full-size Ford air cleaners from 1955-1957 and air cleaners/valve covers for '61-'62 Ford/T-bird 390-4v engines?)

Green DE-40133 (I doubt this was used on the 'Bird - I think it's for the industrial engines - more info needed on this)

Flat Black DE-9123 (Might be the color number Ditzler uses for accessory brackets, etc. - see comments above on Lincoln Continental black engine finishes)

Torch Red DQE-70801 (Not used on '58-'60 T-birds that I'm aware of) - this was used on Ford 6-cylinder (?) and 292 Car/Truck air cleaners/valve covers, as well as on Dagenham-procuded diesels)

Any additional information that can be provided by others for other paint manufacturers would be appreciated.
          Last edited by Alan H. Tast, AIA; February 13, 2011, 10:14 PM. Reason: Revised/Added Information
          Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
          Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
          Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks, Alan, for that great Valentine's Day gift! I am going to add this to the Technical Resource Library so our members will be able to find it quickly instead of having to dig through old posts to find it! With proper credit, of course! We are so fortunate to have access to the man with more knowledge of these old Tbirds of ours than you could ever imagine! Thanks very much!
            Last edited by YellowRose; February 13, 2011, 03:03 PM.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• DaveB
              • Dec 11 2010

Amazing research. Thanks. Do you know if there are rattle can equivalents?

Comment

• partsetal
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 4 2005

I've seen rattle cans of 'Ryder Yellow' which is a fleet color being sold as correct for the valve covers, but I've never had a chip of goldenrod with which to compare it.
                Carl

Comment

• DaveB
                  • Dec 11 2010

I think I'll go to the automotive paint store with the correct numbers and just buy a small amount. Thanks,
                  Dave

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 5 2008

Please note that information was updated from the original posting: my original post has been edited with corrected/added information.

And, no, I DO NOT KNOW what the numbers are for rattle cans or modern equivalents. If you find something, post the info in this thread.
                    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
                    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
                    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

When I was talking paint with the NAPA paint store here, I was told that once I selected the color that I wanted, if I wanted some paint in spray cans they could put it into cans for me. I would have to buy a minimum of two cans, as I recall. I see that Alan also said that many places will load paint into spray cans for you.

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by YellowRose
                        When I was talking paint with the NAPA paint store here, I was told that once I selected the color that I wanted, if I wanted some paint in spray cans they could put it into cans for me. I would have to buy a minimum of two cans, as I recall. I see that Alan also said that many places will load paint into spray cans for you.
                        We can do that it NZ, about $50 for a 500ml can (a bit under a pint)

That's how I painted the inside window surrounds in the '66.
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• DaveB
                          • Dec 11 2010

So I went to a local auto paint store that only does paint and purchased the correct paint in enamel. These are the paint codes they used:
                          Goldenrod 58044-AM; colonial white 43779-A. These are Dupont numbers and it is Centari paint. Had to buy a pint with the hardener and reducer. Expensive but the correct colors.

Dave

Comment

• DKheld
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Aug 27 2008

Hey Dave - glad you found the colors you needed. Mine is a driver so I don't need to have the exact color. I am using Sunburst Yellow from a rattle can - found it at Lowes. Matched a non faded area of the original valve cover pretty close so decided to use it. Will post some pics when they are finished.

Eric
                            registry 5347

Here is a before pic - the left side is newly painted and although you can't tell- there was a line of un-faded paint under the heat riser tube. The Sunburst yellow was close.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I am pleased that Alan took the time to give us detailed information regarding the proper paint colors for the various components of the engine compartment. I have just extracted that information and placed it in the Technical Resource Library under the PAINT heading. You will find it there, when you need it in the future. Thanks again, Alan! What a fabulous source of technical information we have amongst us!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎