X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Bumper re-chrome

I am going to get the centre section of my rear bumper re-chromed and got a price from Micro-Plating in Highland Park Michigan of $305.00. This is less than half of what I would pay in Canada. My local plater wants $600 and another one wants $750. Is anyone familiar with Micro-Plating or has anyone had any work done by them?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

They did both bumpers for my '55 Ford and the bumper guards. They also did my 5-piece grille. Micro-Platers does good work at cheap prices. They have been next door to the Ford plant since 1948. I'm very happy.

Included in your price is a 'lifetime' warranty (that's what I was looking for), and they do minor bumping and metal finishing. Keep your receipt. Micro etches your order number into the inside of your parts, for future warranty reference.

For $300, you are getting "production" quality, which is at least as good as Ford's original quality. Micro follows the same process. They etch the old plating off, metal finish, and nickel then chrome plate. They only do steel parts. - Dave

Edit: I forgot to say, Micro is six miles from my house. If you need me to 'follow-up' your bumper, I will. Give me a PM or a phone call (248) 544-8834. - Dave
    Last edited by simplyconnected; March 17, 2010, 01:03 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• vernz
      Experienced
      • Jul 12 2008

Dave,

Do you know if anyone ever got a quote from them for the entire rear bumper? Also, do they triple plate, starting with a copper layer?

Vern

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Vern, they only do "production" quality chrome. That means nickel and chrome, just like the factory did. They offer a lifetime warranty which is included in the price.

I find, with ALL these chrome shops, the more work you give them, the cheaper the prices become. That's exactly what Ray Clark found with his chrome shop, down in Texas.

I have had many items chromed at Micro and I am happy with their prices and their work. Again, with any chrome shop, if you don't like the job... give it back and make them do it over for free. It's an unwritten rule (so is using cash for custom work).

I understand a Squarebird bumper has two end pieces, a lower middle piece, and two details that bolt on. When you say an entire rear bumper, I would include all of these because most plating places use 'item count' so they don't lose parts.

Vern, I don't have a T-bird, but I am about to bring two more bumpers to Micro for my '59 Galaxie. If you would like to add yours to mine, I'm sure we can get an even more decent price for the whole bang and split the savings. Remember, they do any part a magnet sticks to (not pot metal, because they don't copper plate).

Another alternative is this: If you REALLY need copper, have a different plating company strip and copper plate THEN bring it to Micro. Copper plating is done cheaply by everyone, but only a few shops do hexavalent chrome because of the environmental hazards and high cost of neutralizing and disposing the cyanide. That's why chrome shops charge so much. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Steffan
          Apprentice
          • Jan 29 2007

Hi Dave, I appreciate the offer and might take you up on it. I plan on bringing the bumper over on April 02 which is Good Friday here and a holiday for us. They mentioned at Micro-Plating that they were open that day as it was not a US holiday. They figured it would take about six weeks before it was ready. I might get them to ship it up to Marine City and bring it across on the ferry, saves me driving back to pick it up.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Steffan
            ...I might get them to ship it up to Marine City and bring it across on the ferry...
            What price did they quote, and how much did they charge for shipping to Marine City/Sarnia?

If we submit our order together, we can get a better price. The Blue Water Bridge is about an hour away from me. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• vernz
              Experienced
              • Jul 12 2008

Dave,

I just obtained a front bumper that was triple plated. Is it safe to assume that the color of a double plated bumper would be the same since the outer layer is chrome or am I asking for color match trouble having different places rechrome the front and rear? I have no experience at all with rechroming other than buying the rechromed front bumper (which I am still awaiting to arrive).

Vern

Comment

• Steffan
                Apprentice
                • Jan 29 2007

They didn't give me a price to ship to Marine City but I wouldn't think it would be much more than about $15 and they charge $5 a package to bring it across on the ferry. Other than that I pay 13% tax on the cost of the item to customs as there is no duty and there is also no brokerage fees. I have had a lot of parts shipped in this way from Pat Wilsons as well as the Birdsnest in Oregon. My exhaust from Pat Wilsons cost me $45 in shipping charges and that was coming from New Jersey. As for the Birdsnest I have never had a shipping charge and its coming from Oregon. If you are going to take something in to have plated let me know as my plans for now are to come on April 02 which is next Friday. I will make a call next week before I come just to verify that they are open and from what time.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Vern, in the past, your question would not have been considered because there was only, hexavalent chrome. Now, you're absolutely right. All the major auto companies refuse to install any part plated with hexavalent chrome.

In the plating process, airborne particles have proved to be carcinagenic:
                  Many employers in the construction industry, many shipyards, and some employers in other industries are subject to Occupational Safety and Health Administration ("OSHA") standards covering workplace exposure to hexavalent chromium, a potentially harmful substance.

Trivalent chrome has a slight blue cast, but it is safe. To the untrained eye, it's close enough. To the trained eye, it's not the same as we had in the old days.

Most every small plating shop still plates with hex-chrome (because that's what we want to see). That's another reason why our chrome prices are sky high.

So the issue with color is not how many layers were plated, but which type of chrome was used. If your bumper color looks like it did back in the day, they used hexavalent chrome... that deep, rich, creamy look.

Since this article was written just now, you are wise to consider your chrome work now, rather than later.

Steffan, I'll get back with you later. I do have one bumper nearly ready to go. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ncbird
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 5 2008

teat the back

Just a heads up...not all shops do anything with the back of the bumper. It is dipped and then is left bare. I painted the back of all my new chrome with por silver. It keeps the back from rusting. just my .02
                    Grant
                    NCbird on the Coast of NC
                    "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎