Removal Engine Wiring Harness/hood Release Bar

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal Engine Wiring Harness/hood Release Bar

Hello:
    I need some help with two problems. The first is removal of the main engine electrical harness. I am preparing my 63 Bird for an engine rebuild as well as replacement of a rusty battery tray. I am removing all the peripherals in the engine compartment so it can be repainted. I have gotten the main engine harness freed up back to the firewall. It looks like it just plugs in(2 of them). I gave them a pull and they don't seem to want to unplug. I have looked in the Service Manual and no help. Any suggestions?? I didn't want to keep pulling on them unless indicated.
    The other issue is the long hood release bar between the two hood release mechanisms. I have everything removed but that. Any help?? Thanks in advance. Mike

Assuming thier the rubber plugs and have no locking mechanism get a pliers on each section and wiggle up and down and back and forth(don't bend to far) should come apart. If not apply some silicone spray or penetrating fluid and repeat. Don't have a 63 so I can't comment on the hood release. Mike
    Last edited by Guest; July 5, 2009, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by bul-it
      The other issue is the long hood release bar between the two hood release mechanisms. I have everything removed but that. Any help?? Thanks in advance. Mike
      Hi Mike, I removed both catches (easy) and the cable, but also found the hood release bar to be a challenge so I left it in place and masked it.

Sorry I can't be more help

Alistair

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

Wire Harness Removal '63

There is a stamped metal retainer that surrounds the grommet through the bulkhead connectors. You should first try to unplug the loom from inside the car if you are intent on removing the harness from the engine bay. This way you can work the part of the harness going through the firewall out, but take your time and try not to damage the retainer. I don't have any real good tips for removal at that point - let's just say on my '63 I've learned by trial and error. You may be better off to leave the harness attached at the firewall and mask it off, then clean it up and rewrap it after painting the engine bay.

Don't forget to remove all those plastic retainers that hold the windshield washer hoses and smaller wiring looms in place - you can get new replacements and install them when you're reassembling the engine bay.
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

I would think putting the harness in a plastic bag, taping the end shut and letting it hang would work ok - lot less work anyways...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎