Transmission Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Questions

I have a 59 with a 352.

if I were in need of a transmission is the cruise-o-matic(original) the one to keep or is there a better trans that would fit that config. I have seen different types like the c4 and c6 but not sure what would work.

Or does it makes more sense to get my current trans rebuilt? I think I would take the trip to Broader Performance if that is the case. I am up for any suggest and thought.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Transmission Questions

I just had mine rebuilt at Broader Performance. He is about an hour away from me and he is a very nice and knowledgeable guy. He will want to do your converter also. His shop is his basement and a one car garage but he does top notch work. The total cost was about $900.00. He said that these transmissions are very dependable.

Rick

Comment

HI
      I have a 1960 conv. that i put a C6 trans in. Of course it bolted to the motor with no problems but i have yet to do something with the trans mount, there are parts for that, i have put about 20,000 on it since. I personally perfer the c6 to the cruz-a-matic and a ford top loader 4sp to all of it. I ordered a trans "C6" for a 1966 428 thunderbird and a flyhweel/starter for a 1968 360 cu. truck motor from advance auto and with installation and parts it cost about a $1100. I have had bad luck going back to 1973 and my first 1959 bird and with fords with cruz-a-matics so when the trans in my 1960 bird failed I was not supprised. The C6 seems to give the car more pickup. The shifter would have come real close to linning up but in my case the shift collar is worn out. Another thing to consider is that these trans have cast iron cases which may lend themselves to building something better than ford did if you got the money.
      good luck
      mark

Comment

I'm told the cruise-o-matic is a good and strong tranny so I'll stick with it in my Bird. I've purchased the parts and will attempt the rebuild myself. WWW.autotran.us and WWW.bulkpart.com have reasonably priced parts.

Comment

Hey guys,

thanks for the relpies. I live in NJ and Broader is the only place I heard that sounds solid. It would be a weekend trip for me, but hopefully worth it.

I have never had luck rebuilding chevy tranny's, so I don't know if I would try this one, but it's a thought.

any other thoughts, please post and thanks again.

Comment

RE: Transmission Questions, 1rancher

Were you able to use your T-Bird drive shaft with the C6 or did you use a different one?

Rick

Comment

RE: Transmission Questions, 1rancher

HI
              Yes, i was able to use the drive shaft and yoke when installing the C6. One reason for ording the trans for the 1966 thunderbird with the 428 eng is that the wheel base is the same from 1958 thru 1966, or at least that is what i have seen.
              good luck
              mark 1960 thunderbird conv.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎