Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1958 To 1960 Squarebirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Glovebox Lock (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22214)

Deanj 12-02-2017 11:07 AM

Glovebox Lock

Another lesson learned-because I like everything to work whether I'll use-it or not. The glovebox latch and lock was replaced previous to my ownership of my 1960. After cruising Youtube I thought I'd pull the mechanism, pull the lock cylinder and reposition a couple pins so my key would work.

First, the lock cylinder wouldn't come out of the unit as promised. So I reinstalled the unit on the glovebox door and promptly locked myself out of the compartment. $6 for a locksmith to pick it open. They said they could re-code it for $20. I thought I'd I have to leave it, and so decided another time.

I wasn't finished screwing things up. I drove home and disassembled things again getting the key to turn the cylinder. Of course I locked the door, but when I turned the key, it wouldn't unlock the lock. Another trip to the locksmith. She, yes, she picked the lock and then recoded it to keep me from accidently locking it again without a matching key.

So, you can re-code your lock yourself with just a couple pins matching the key just to get the lock working. You just need to know the lock cylinder will not come out until you slide the roll pin that holds the latching trigger out. That's the key. Of course you can just bring it to the locksmith and avoid working your fingers until numb.

Dean

jopizz 12-02-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanj (Post 112579)
So I reinstalled the unit on the glovebox door and promptly locked myself out of the compartment.

Dean

All you have to do is remove the screws that hold the door to the bottom of the dash and the door will come off.

John

Deanj 12-02-2017 01:11 PM

Now you tell me! :D I wondered what a decimated compartment liner looked like.

Actually, if someone is doing that, then they got past the door locks.

jopizz 12-02-2017 01:22 PM

The glovebox lock is about as secure as a piece of string.

John

Deanj 12-02-2017 04:03 PM

Yes John, but I have some tough string. You're correct, we shouldn't depend on this lock, it could discourage some curious folk and more important: I like things that work. I haven't used my windshield washer yet either, but it works.

Dean