• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Why is engine not bolted in?

The seller at a popular auction site advertises as follows:

NO RESERVE RARE 60 T-Bird Convertible needs total restoration has considerable rust. Most convertible parts seem to be there except flipper motor. The V8 engine and Transmission are there but are not properly bolted in, drive shaft is missing. I am not able to turn engine by hand. Rear seat and armrests are there, front seats are missing, dash is about 50% complete. Other parts may be missing.

Anyone want to guess why this engine and transmission are not bolted in?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

RE: Why is engine not bolted in?

It doesn't look like it is an FE engine...is it a 292 or 312
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Exactly right. Judging by the one or two barrel carburetor, it is probably a 292.

I once saw in a major collector car publication a photo spread on a 1959 T-bird with a Y block engine. I wrote a letter to the magazine to point out their error. Somehow someone made that engine fit, though the expansion tank was on at an odd angle. Why someone would want to do that kind of engine transplant is beyond me.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

Birders
        This looks like a 292ci T-Bird motor from a 55/56 Fairlane due to a single carb. I had a 292 in my 1957 Fairlane 500 and they both look the same. Also theres a very nice looking 60 j code soft top for sale on E-Bay i think you will like this one Alex due to its colour and interior! but then again i liked to have the whole car.
        Kevin.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

I do love the Sultana Turquoise exterior with Medium Turquoise leather interior. That is an exceptionally nice car.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• SandyBoy
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 31 2002

MAN....is THAT ever nice!! Boy, I'd love to have that! I'm gonna go see if I can find it & see more photos ! Thanks !:-)

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎