Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 64TBird64
    • Dec 30 2014

64 t bird won't start

So I picked up a project that I'm having trouble with. Its a 1964 t bird convertible. Interior was taken apart when I bought it. So I put it back together and I can't get the car started. It won't even crank. When I turn the key I get headlights so I know I have power. When I try to turn it over I get a clicking sound. So I had someone run the key and I listened for the noise. The clicking is coming from a relay on the passenger firewall. It's a 4 pin 12v rectangle relay. Am I on the right track or does that hve nothing to do with starting the car? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Battery is new, took the starter out and tested it and it will spin so I'm assuming it's good, changed out the solenoid and that didn't help. Thanks
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

What you're describing sounds like the starter solenoid. If it's clicking it sounds like it's getting power from the ignition through the neutral switch. What you can do is bypass it by jumping from the positive battery terminal to the starter cable that's on the solenoid. If the motor turns over then the starter is good and the solenoid is probably bad. You can test the solenoid by using a test light or voltmeter.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

The 'vert is Model 76. The master electrical diagram shows the top control relay on the passenger side of the firewall. That shouldn't have anything to do with the starter circuit.

Maybe you have a switch in the top mechanism stuck in the on position. If that's the case the top relay would cycle off when you engage the starter relay, since the starter circuit takes nearly all the power from the battery. I suggest you pull the top relay while you diagnose the starter circuit.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The solenoid/starter relay is on the front passenger side between the battery and the grill.

John
        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Let's hear about how you ran your ground wire from the battery. Is it tight? Are your electrical connections solid with no corrosion? Did you scrape the oxide off your battery posts and cable connections before tightening them?

Is the Starter Solenoid firmly attached to chassis ground? If it's loose on your car body, it ain't gunna work.

Use a jumper cable and do what John said; jump both large terminals on your starter solenoid. If the starter motor still doesn't turn, let us know. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 64TBird64
            • Dec 30 2014

Where are the ground wires suppose to be hooked up at? When I jump the solenoid by the two posts it just clicks.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your negative battery cable should be bolted to the side of the engine block. Are you jumping the two large connectors on the side of the solenoid or the two small ones in the front.

John

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

To test the starter rely (solenoid), connect a jumper cable from one large post to the other. This should give the battery 12v directly to the starter motor. If it doesn't turn the motor, then you have a bad ground.

Comment

• 64TBird64
                  • Dec 30 2014

I was jumping the two smaller ones in the front of the solenoid with a screw driver. Is that wrong? How many grounds should I have and where? I think that maybe the issue. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You need to jump the two larger ones. Make sure you use something heavy like jumper cables.

John

Comment

• 64TBird64
                      • Dec 30 2014

Ok I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. Will definitely let everyone know what I come up with. I'm new to the site and everyone has been very helpful already. Thanks

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

64 t bird won't start

As jopizz said, your negative battery cable should be grounded to the engine block. Make sure that ground wire is in good condition, and that it is making a good connection at the engine block. You might want to take it loose, and clean the area on the engine block where it is attached to make sure you are getting a good ground connection.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 64TBird64
                          • Dec 30 2014

Ok guys sorry it took me so long to get back with an update. Been busy. So finally had some time to work on the car and put some grounds on it. I can get the car to turn over by jumping the solenoid. When I turn the key I still get a click by the pass firewall. What should I be looking at now? Also, when I had the starter out the shaft thing didn't seem like it was engaging all the way. Is that gear suppose to go up all the way or no? Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about because I dot know the technical terms. I've never seen a start like this. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If it turns over when you jump the solenoid then the starter is engaging correctly. On the front of the solenoid you have two small wires. One is red with a blue stripe. Pull the wire off and put a test light on the wire. Turn the key to the start position. If the light comes on then the solenoid is bad. If the light doesn't come on move the shift lever up and down a little. If the light still doesn't come on then it could be the neutral switch on the steering column, the wiring between the neutral switch and the solenoid, the ignition switch or the wiring from the ignition switch to the neutral switch.

John
                            Last edited by jopizz; January 7, 2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• 64TBird64
                              • Dec 30 2014

The ignition switch is new. Is there anyway I can test the other options? Are there grounds on the inside for the starting system? Also, why does the seat belt light on the center console light up? What's the purpose for that button?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎