No announcement yet.

63 Bullet Bird stance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

63 Bullet Bird stance

Hello, I'm new here and need your help. My current project is to appraise a very nicely restored "driver-class" 1963 Thunderbird coupe. My issue is with its "stance". Though its suspension has been completely rebuilt, the car sits still with a decided rearward "rake" (i.e. rear visibly lower than its front). Is this as it should be (as it came from the factory)? Thanks for your informed responses.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would say it's normal for Thunderbirds of that era to sit low in the back. I've had quite a few where the rear leaf spring shackles were turned around to raise the back end. Try getting one up on a flatbed tow truck without scraping the mufflers and you'll see just how low they sit. I guess that was part of the character. It was supposed to look like it was taking off.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

John: Thank you. I am aware of your qualifications and really appreciate the timely response. Jon Lundberg

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Stance

Hi Jon, any chance you can send in a photo. I had the '61 Bullet-Bird & just want to compare notes.

Thanks

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by DSRTDWELR
          John: Thank you. I am aware of your qualifications and really appreciate the timely response. Jon Lundberg
          You're welcome Jon. Glad to have you aboard. We've had members in the past who were looking for someone to appraise a vehicle they were interested in buying. Hopefully your service can help our members out. I've had occasion to meet appraisers in the past and they seemed to know very little about the particular vehicle they were looking at. I see that Ray has already referred you to our checklist. Since every model of car has it's own trouble spots to look out for that should be of great use to you in appraising Thunderbirds.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bbogue
            • Oct 25 2015

Ride Height

At

original ride height for the 63 is shown as 27" front and 20 1/2" rear. My 61 with new springs and shocks sits higher, about 1 1/2" front and rear and has a definite "rake," the front being higher than the rear.

I remember in the mid-1960's how some guys put spacers in the front coil springs to raise the front end of their cars. By the late 1960's it seemed to me that the style was to raise the rear. Myself, I prefer a more level stance or the front slightly raised.

Good luck.

Bill
            Last edited by bbogue; November 20, 2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Ron of Chicago
              • Feb 21 2012

Six and a half inch difference seems like a lot but you have to consider that the measurement is taken at the wheel opening and the front one is higher.

I was one of those that put the spacers in the front coils of my 58 Chevy.

I also like the front of the car looking a bit higher then the rear.

Ron

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎