Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birdman43
    • May 14 2015

1959 Thunderbird power window problem

I've been restoring my 59 Bird and doing pretty good...recently replaced door and window seals and started in on power windows..went thru switch contacts, mtrs etc...got 2 rear and pass side working great..driver side mtr good, but would not run with switch...used batt. cables and it ran great..found that the black wire is not grounded for some reason..works on the other 3,,,I ran a temp ground wire from the black lead to ground and the it works like a charm..the two rear circuit breakers are mounted to the floorboard under the rear seat to ground and the 2 on the engine firewall are grounded..so what could be the problem with the driver side door window black wire not being grounded ?? also my dome light is staying on no matter if doors are closed or open..both door switches are good....a short somewhere and could this be the problem with the black window mtr black wire not being grounded ?? appreciate any help..
    Birdman43
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The circuit breaker for the driver side should be behind the lower dash panel above the kick panel. Since it's nearly impossible to find you can just add a circuit breaker inside the door. As long as you can keep it dry it should be fine. Just ground one post to the body and the other post goes to the motor same as the rear circuit breakers. I'm not sure what you mean by the two on the engine firewall. I don't think the dome light problem is related. I would check the headlight switch if you know for sure that both door switches are good.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; May 14, 2015, 11:52 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎