Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum

Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   1964 To 1966 Flairbirds - General Technical Discussion (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Efi (http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19553)

Yadkin 10-12-2015 11:46 PM

Looks like the FAST doesn't work with E85?

simplyconnected 10-13-2015 06:48 AM

Have you ever heard of any EFI system that won't handle gasohol? Every major city across the USA ONLY pumps gasohol for cars.

Yadkin 10-13-2015 06:05 PM

FAST states in their FAQ that the EZ EFI unit is not for E85, but that may change. I have an email to them for a response.

stubbie 10-13-2015 07:38 PM

Speaking of vented gas tank caps. I opened my gas tank the other day and it had quite a build up of fumes. The car was in the garage and not in the sun. Should the standard cap be vented or not? Thanks

simplyconnected 10-13-2015 07:56 PM

Stubbie, should the cap be vented, for what car? Squarebirds did not use a separate vent tube so they need a vented cap. My '55 and '59 Fords have a separate vent tube so no vented cap is necessary.

simplyconnected 10-13-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 96142)
Have you ever heard of any EFI system that won't handle gasohol? Every major city across the USA ONLY pumps gasohol for cars.

Our pump gas is E-10, and I guess it is all over the US, not E-85. Car manufacturers still oppose using any higher concentration of alcohol than 10% unless the engine was specifically built for it.

stubbie 10-14-2015 12:09 AM

Sorry it's a 64 Tbird 390 6.4 auto

JJbird 10-14-2015 12:26 AM

Yes, you need a vented cap.

Yadkin 10-14-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 96160)
Our pump gas is E-10, and I guess it is all over the US, not E-85. Car manufacturers still oppose using any higher concentration of alcohol than 10% unless the engine was specifically built for it.

You know I got confused on this, thinking E85 is pump gas. You are correct: E-10 is what is commonly available. Pure gasoline is only available here in a few independent stations. E85 is basically ethanol, mixed with a little bit of gas so that drunks won't drink it. E85 is not commonly available here.

Bottom line, my carburetor has apparently been damaged by E-10. I smell gas when I'm driving and I can't find any tell-tale leaks after I'm stopped.

So any of the new EFI systems that we've been discussing are compatible with E-10, correct?

Yadkin 10-14-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyconnected (Post 96075)
Summitracing.com is about the only good vendor who KNOWS EFI systems. You should talk with them.

I called their tech line yesterday and talked to "Cole". He knew slightly less than I did, apparently, as I could hear him flipping through pages of their catalog trying to answer my specific questions.

I told him that I liked the compact design of the Professional Products Powerjection III so he said, yeah that will be good. Then I expressed concern about the electronics being mounted directly over a hot cast iron manifold and there was silence.

Then I told him I liked the lifetime warranty offered by FAST and he flipped through some more pages and recommended the FAST EZ-EFI 2.0, which is 8 injectors (two in each venturi).

I think that is overkill for my application. The FAST EZ-EFI (1.0) is less money and can still support 200 more HP than I have.