X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchbird
    Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Brake lights.......info please

Sorry to 'hack' the 1958-1960 discussion forum, but don't know where to put my question properly.
    It is about the following someone asked me:

"When I get back from a ride in the Thunderbird (the Bird is from 1956) the brake lights lit, even when the ignition is off. Has anybody an idea how I cansolve this?"

Excuses, I know it's not the right forum but I assume this problem/solution is familiar with our Birds.
    Some of you own or having experience with these Birds also, that's why I'm asking........
    Any contribution is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hey Dutchbird,
    Don't brake lights have power to switch at all times?
    Sounds like brake light switch is sticking!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

Is there any hint that the brakes are dragging? If so, it is likely that is building up and not being released in the master cylinder. A master cylinder rebuild would then be in order.
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

The Baby Bird has pretty much the same setup as the Squarebirds - a pressure senstive switch screwed into the master cylinder.

So from the previous posts:

a) the switch itself has failed and is always "On"

or

b) there is pressure in the system all the time which activates the switch (which responds as it should)

To check b), you could crack a bleed screw or the line to the MC open enough to relieve the pressure and see if the lights go off.

If that still leaves the lights on, I would suspect the switch.

To check a), the switch, disconnect both wires to it and put your multimeter on both posts of the switch with the meter on Resistance scale. There should be no continuity (infinite resistance). If there is continuity, in the absence of pressure, the switch has failed. This assumes you have relieved the pressure and thus isolated the switch.

I would personally perform the test a) first.

Remember if you leak any brake fluid it does attack paint. (Dot 3 and 4 that is).

Now if the problems ends up being pressure then you have to go hunting for the cause. Things that come to mind are failed brake cylinders or MC (pistons not retracting) or heat. How long since the brakes were rebuilt or the fluid flushed??

Personally I don't see the switch failing in the On position...so let us know how it goes.

John
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dutchbird
          Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Thanks guys for your quick and great responding!!!
          (very much appreciated!)

I'll keep you informed when info comes to me..........

Comment

• Dutchbird
            Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Hi guys,

First of all a big thanks again for your support/replies!
            It's been quite a time since this thread was started but I got some info lately:

I have not solved the problem yet but I know now that the pressure switch does not rebound, so the lights remain burning. After a few minutes they go out anyway.......
            I am about to order a new switch if it is more quiet here.

Your suggestions/comments were very helpfull to his investigation, THANKS!!

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by Dutchbird
              Hi guys,

First of all a big thanks again for your support/replies!
              It's been quite a time since this thread was started but I got some info lately:

I have not solved the problem yet but I know now that the pressure switch does not rebound, so the lights remain burning. After a few minutes they go out anyway.......
              I am about to order a new switch if it is more quiet here.

Your suggestions/comments were very helpfull to his investigation, THANKS!!
              By the way, you did post this in the correct forum...
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎