X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ford351c594
    Experienced
    • Mar 6 2015

6090c

I have been on the mad hunt for 6090D 352 hipo heads. No luck unless I want to spend 2k or better. I came by a set of 6090C closed chamber heads today. 850 for the set and they have been upgraded to 2.090 and 1.650 valves and have hardened seats in them.

All i know about these heads is that they are off of a 406 tri power. Can any FE master tell me more about these heads? Any issues on a 352? I didn't know there were more closed chamber heads besides the 352hipo heads or some of the more rare cobra jets later on in life.

also when I say closed chamber I mean the smaller combustion chamber. I am stuck in my Cleveland days.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ford offered around fifty different combinations of FE heads and intake manifolds. Anymore, I think in terms of 'SETS of heads and the intake manifold' because most combinations won't work. Then there are aftermarket...

FE engines were great back in the day but now they are forced to run unleaded gasohol and oil with no ZDDP. The result is, cast iron cannot get rid of the heat fast enough. Consequently, most FE users have sacrificed gas mileage and HP in favor of a cooler running engine.

Yes, you can run 11:1 compression ratio but you better do some fancy footwork to get it right. The only way I see to modernize these engines for daily cruising is to go with aluminum and eliminate the exhaust crossover and heat riser valve. A hydraulic roller cam will allow you to use modern oil.

Edelbrock makes aluminum FE heads but they only fit 390 and 427 because they repositioned the 2.02" valves closer to the cylinder walls. These heads are top shelf with bronze guides, stainless valves, hardened seats (all of them), pushrod guides, new springs, keepers, etc., and the holes are helicoiled. Did I mention CNC? Yep, every head is identical. Now the cost doesn't sound so bad considering aluminum transfers heat four times faster than iron and they're light.

None of this comes cheap. Edelbrock heads run around $750/each. Y-Block aluminum heads cost twice as much from John Mummert, and that engine is barely 300 cubes.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ford351c594
      Experienced
      • Mar 6 2015

sorry it took so long for me to reply. more info is the C3AE-6090-C. I believe they are a "medium" riser head, with the smallest combustion chamber on a FE head, so I will have to "gasket match" any intake to it. No big deal.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on these as a way to boost a big more power out a 352. Give me a reason to clean up the block a bit as well, and install a mild cam and fresh chain in the process.

if you got any advise on this it would be great appreciated.

Comment

• Ian M Greer
        Experienced
        • Jul 29 2010

To the best of my knowledge the C3AE-6090-C heads were used after the end of run of the 63 Tri-Power set-ups in around February 63 as a common head on the 63 thunderbird 390 engine boosting it's compression ratio from a 9.5 to 1 to a 10.5 to 1 and 300 hp . They are quite common the Tri-Powers used C2SE-6090-A and 6090-B with some of the 6090C series findings it's way on the late production M Tri-Powers in the early month's of 1963 , these of co**** being 406 heads .Ian m Greer (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎